A cat spots a flower pot through the window

In summary, a flowerpot is thrown upwards, passing by a 2m window both on the way up and back down. The total time taken passing the window (twice) is 0.5s. The flower pot goes up to 2m above the window top, and then comes back down.
Akash47

Homework Statement

A cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot is in view for a total of 0.50 s, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.00 m. How high above the window top does the flowerpot go?

2. Relevant equation
Not sure but the theory of refraction of light may work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't understand the question at all.That's why I want to know what kind of question this is.And also what is it's solution process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shorn of hyperbole and ornamentation, the question seems to be...

"A flowerpot is thrown upwards, passing by a 2m window both on the way up and back down. The total time taken passing the window (twice) is 0.5s . How high above the top of the window is the top of the object's travel ?"

This is a question of projectile motion; neither optics, nor animal behaviour.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude
But there is no mention of throwing the flower pot.

One has to imagine that some unseen person perhaps another cat has thrown the flower pot upward or that the flower pot was on a bench and a cat jumped down on the bench catapulting the flower pot upward. There are innumerable scenarios where the flower pot can be launched into the air. However none of that matters once the pot is in motion. We also have to assume that this event occurred on the Earth as we know of no other planet where there are cats and flower pots.

Following the symmetry of the situation, if the pot goes up then the pot comes down. It will traverse the same window length in the same amount of time.

Given that you can you conclude?

Akash47 said:

Homework Statement

A cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot is in view for a total of 0.50 s, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.00 m. How high above the window top does the flowerpot go?

2. Relevant equation
Not sure but the theory of refraction of light may work.
I always use the "kinematics equations" when I run across problems like this.
Here are the ones I keep handy:

kinematics equations
d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2 * a * d
vf = vi + a * t
d = (vi + vf) / 2 * t

d: distance
a: acceleration
t: time
vi: initial velocity
vf: final velocity​

Put them in your toolbox!

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't understand the question at all.That's why I want to know what kind of question this is.And also what is it's solution process?

I think others have adequately figured out the problem.
My solution process started with identifying the known variables: acceleration, distance, and time.

Then I rearranged the kinematics equations to put all of the unknown variables on one side.
Did a bunch of maths, and solved the problem.

jedishrfu said:
One has to imagine that some unseen person perhaps another cat has thrown the flower pot upward or that the flower pot was on a bench and a cat jumped down on the bench catapulting the flower pot upward.

In my scenario, a cat on the x floor of an apartment building knocked the flower pot off a banister.
The flower pot interacted with a trampoline at the bottom.
The cat in question, noticed the flower pot on its subsequent upward and downward travels.

ps. Fun problem!

1. What is the significance of a cat spotting a flower pot through a window?

The significance of this event may vary depending on the individual cat and flower pot in question. It could be a simple observation or a potential source of entertainment for the cat.

2. Why would a cat be interested in a flower pot through a window?

Cats are naturally curious creatures and they are attracted to movement and objects that catch their attention. A flower pot through a window may be visually stimulating for a cat, especially if it is moving or contains something of interest to the cat, such as a bug or a plant.

3. Is there any scientific reason behind a cat spotting a flower pot through a window?

As mentioned before, cats are naturally curious and have a keen sense of observation. They are also known to have excellent eyesight, so spotting a flower pot through a window may just be a result of their natural abilities and instincts.

4. Can a cat's behavior towards a flower pot through a window change over time?

Like any animal, a cat's behavior may change over time due to various factors such as age, environment, and experiences. A cat may initially be interested in a flower pot through a window, but as time goes on, they may lose interest or become more fascinated with it.

5. How can I make a cat's experience of spotting a flower pot through a window more enjoyable?

As mentioned before, cats are naturally curious and enjoy stimulation. You can make a cat's experience more enjoyable by placing the flower pot in a location where the cat can easily observe it, adding interesting objects or plants to the flower pot, or even placing a bird feeder nearby to attract birds for the cat to watch.