Calculating the spontaneous emission rate for a material

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the spontaneous emission rate of a 1D material at resonance frequency. It involves the absorption and emission of photons by atoms in the material and takes into account the density of atoms per unit length and the refractive index. The equation tspont = time_difference/N = (L*(1/c)-(n/c))/N is suggested as a possible way to calculate the spontaneous emission time, but the units do not seem correct and it may be necessary to use the Lorentz oscillator model or the Fermi golden rule to obtain more accurate results.
Lior Fa
Hi,
Suppose I have a 1D material of length L, and I want to calculate the spontanious emission rate Γ at ressonance frequeny.
From my understanding, when light passes in a material at ressonance frequency it gets absorved by an electron in the atom, and after a spontaneous emission time tspont the electron emits a photon by geting down to the last energy level. This photon gets to the next atom nearby, and the electron of that atom absorves it (in some propabilty) and after the same tspont emits it again, and so on for the rest of the atoms.
My question is, if I know the atom density per meter N (1D material) and the refractive index n, I can calculate the time tmaterial-tvaccum which is the time difference of light coming out of the L length material in contrast to the time of the light to travel L in the speed of light in vacuum (L/c), can I calculate the spontaneous emission time of the material from:
tspont = time_difference/N = (L*(1/c)-(n/c))/N
where N is the density of atoms per unit length.
I have an assumption here that the light interacts with each atom, but I can upgrade this formula for N= atom densitiy times the propabilty that the photon interacts with the electron in the atom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lior Fa said:
tspont = time_difference/N = (L*(1/c)-(n/c))/N
From where did you get this equation?
The units don't look right. Time can't equal time divided by density.

Are you using the Lorentz oscillator model for the material? Are you using a complex number to represent n?
You might be able to calculate the spontaneous emission using the Fermi golden rule, if you can obtain densities of states.

What is spontaneous emission rate?

The spontaneous emission rate is a measure of how quickly an excited atom or molecule will return to its ground state by emitting a photon. It is a fundamental property of materials and is important for understanding their optical properties.

How is spontaneous emission rate calculated?

The spontaneous emission rate is calculated using the Einstein A coefficient, which is a measure of the probability of an excited state emitting a photon. It is also dependent on the energy difference between the excited and ground states.

What factors affect the spontaneous emission rate?

The spontaneous emission rate is affected by several factors, including the energy of the excited state, the lifetime of the excited state, the density of states of the material, and the local electromagnetic environment.

Can the spontaneous emission rate be measured?

Yes, the spontaneous emission rate can be measured experimentally using techniques such as fluorescence spectroscopy or time-resolved photoluminescence. These measurements can provide valuable information about the properties of a material.

Why is calculating the spontaneous emission rate important?

Calculating the spontaneous emission rate is important for understanding the optical properties of materials, such as their absorption and emission spectra. It also plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of optoelectronic devices, such as lasers and LEDs.