Can spontaneous emission be considered a thermodynamic process?

In summary, spontaneous emission is a random process that occurs when an atom is excited and a photon is emitted. The entropy of the system increases due to the randomness of the process.
Karl Coryat
TL;DR Summary
Wondering if entropy has anything to do with the smallest systems seeking low-energy states.
I realize that nothing causes an excited atom to emit a photon, and that it's a random process. But someone was asking me about why energized systems in general tend to lose their energy to the environment and move toward equilibrium. I mentioned that an inflated balloon, given a hole, will tend to deflate, and I gave the thermodynamic explanation which ultimately invokes statistical mechanics. Plenty of other macroscopic processes, even gravity, have thermodynamic, emergent explanations, at least in some theories.

What about on the atomic level? Is a system of an atom plus an emitted photon considered higher-entropy than the atom when excited? One could say that there are many more configurations of atom + photon than there are of an excited atom alone.

Basically, I want to learn how small a system can be and still have a "macrostate" for the purpose of considering a statistical, entropic explanation. Surely an ensemble of excited atoms, decaying exponentially, meets the description...but just one?

To be clear, again, I'm not looking to explain the particular emission, just why an excited atom tends in that direction.

(Note: A similar question was asked here a long time ago, but I find the answer unsatisfying. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-thermodynamic-approach-to-spontaneous-emission.75515/ )

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
An ensemble of non-interacting excited atoms becoming photons and ground state atoms is quite equivalent to a single excited atom being likely to end up that way.

Here's Feynman:
Richard Feynman - The Feynman Lectures Vol. I - Chapter 7 said:
Incidentally, why does it go one way instead of the other way? Why does an atom radiate light? The answer has to do with entropy. When the energy is in the electromagnetic field, there are so many different ways it can be—so many different places where it can wander—that if we look for the equilibrium condition, we find that in the most probable situation the field is excited with a photon, and the atom is de-excited. It takes a very long time for the photon to come back and find that it can knock the atom back up again.

Likes DaveE
Spontaneous emission is occurring also at ##T=0##. It's not something specifically "thermal". It's the most simple phenomenon that really needs the quantization of the electromagnetic field (i.e., photons).

Let's take a hydrogen atom to have a specific example. The usual QM1 treatment is of course in the semi-classical approximation, i.e., you treat the electromagnetic field as classical and you take into account only the static coulomb potential due to the proton and calculate the energy eigenstates of the electron moving in this Coulomb field (let's for simplicity use the approximation where the proton is taken as infinitely heavy and at rest). In this approximation the lonely H atom will stay in any of the energy eigenstates once prepared in one. After all, that's what energy eigentstates are: the stationary states of the system.

Of course, now this is an approximation in view that the electromagnetic field in fact has to be quantized too. Now the total dynamical system consists of a proton, an electron and the electromagnetic field. The Heisenberg uncertainty relation for the em. field operators tells you that you cannot have a determined electromagnetic field, implying that even in the vacuum the electromagnetic field is fluctuating. Now having the electron and proton prepared in one of its excited states due to the fluctuating em. field there is some probability that a transition occurs such that the atom goes to a lower-energy state and a photon is emitted, and that can happen when initially the electromagnetic field is prepared in its ground state, i.e., no photons present. That's spontaneous emission (in a perturbative description).

1. What is spontaneous emission?

Spontaneous emission is a phenomenon in which an atom or molecule in an excited state spontaneously emits a photon of light without any external influence.

2. How is spontaneous emission related to thermodynamics?

Spontaneous emission is considered a thermodynamic process because it involves the transfer of energy and entropy from the excited state of the atom or molecule to the surrounding environment.

3. Can spontaneous emission be reversed?

No, spontaneous emission cannot be reversed. Once an atom or molecule has emitted a photon, it cannot reabsorb it and return to its excited state.

4. Is spontaneous emission a random process?

Yes, spontaneous emission is a random process. The exact timing and direction of the emitted photon cannot be predicted, as it is determined by quantum mechanical probabilities.

5. How does spontaneous emission affect the overall energy of a system?

Spontaneous emission leads to the loss of energy from the excited state of the atom or molecule, resulting in a decrease in the overall energy of the system. This energy is transferred to the surrounding environment, leading to an increase in its entropy.