Calculating the Spring Constant from Force-Extension Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the gradient and equation for a graph of force against extension. It is mentioned that the gradient obtained from the graph (26.3N/m) does not match the one obtained from the formula (k=F/x). It is suggested that this could be due to errors in plotting the data, and it is noted that starting the data from 0.5F instead of 0 may help to resolve the discrepancy.
Jadaa

Homework Statement

Force Extension in (m)
1.0 0.014.
1.5 0.032.
2.0 0.053.
2.5 0.071.
3.0 0.090.
3.5 0.110.
4.0 0.130.
4.5 0.148.
5.0 0.166.

Homework Equations

RESULTS FROM GRAPH.
F= kx.
k=F/x,m= vertical side/ horizontal rise.

The Attempt at a Solution

I plotted a graph of force against extension and found the gradient to be 26.3N/m using the points (0.014,0.1) and (0.166,0.5).
It's my understanding that the gradient should be equal to the answer obtained from k= F/x but when I work it out the answers are not similar and I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jadaa said:
but when I work it out the answers are not similar
Can you explain what that means. Does that mean that your answer is significantly different than the book?

TomHart said:
Can you explain what that means. Does that mean that your answer is significantly different than the book?

When I work it out it's not equal to the gradient which my teacher says it should be. I think it's because I'm not sure how to probably use the formula when there are so many quantities.

I plotted the data. It appears that it doesn't intersect at x=0, F=0 very well. That has to be what is causing the discrepancy.

TomHart said:
I plotted the data. It appears that it doesn't intersect at x=0, F=0 very well. That has to be what is causing the discrepancy.

Ooo I see my teacher has advised us that we could have started from 0.5 F instead of 0 instead as we were getting errors. Thank you I'll try to recover my previous set of data.

That should help because if I find an equation for the line based on the 26.3 slope, it shows an offset of 0.63 N.

Thanks again

Likes TomHart

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This can be expressed mathematically as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

3. What units are used to measure the spring constant?

The spring constant is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system or pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the length and thickness of the spring, and the temperature. It is important to take these factors into consideration when conducting experiments to find the spring constant.

5. Why is finding the spring constant important?

Finding the spring constant allows us to understand and predict the behavior of springs in different situations. It is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science, where springs are commonly used in various applications.