Calculating the Spring Constant of a Bungee Cord Used for Car Bungee Jumping

In summary, the car bungee jumped off a bridge had a spring with a constant k, and the area of the bungee was .135717m^2. The cord's GPE was 254 N.
pat666
hard complex reasoning help!

Homework Statement

American advertising agency McKAnn decided to bungee jump a car off a bridge to show how well made the car was. They used a 30 m m rubber bungee cord used by the army to bungee tanks during air drops. it had nine individual cords each around 12cm in diameter. when released from the top of the bridge , 267m above the water , the 1857kg ute stretched the cord 6* its original length. Calculate the spring constant of the cord. (k)

Homework Equations

F=-kx

forces and spring equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the area of the bungee to be .135717m^2, also i can calculate the GPE but that is as far as i have gotten- please help. the answer is 254 N M

Physics news on Phys.org

pat666 said:

Homework Statement

American advertising agency McKAnn decided to bungee jump a car off a bridge to show how well made the car was. They used a 30 m m rubber bungee cord used by the army to bungee tanks during air drops. it had nine individual cords each around 12cm in diameter. when released from the top of the bridge , 267m above the water , the 1857kg ute stretched the cord 6* its original length. Calculate the spring constant of the cord. (k)

Homework Equations

F=-kx

forces and spring equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the area of the bungee to be .135717m^2, also i can calculate the GPE but that is as far as i have gotten- please help. the answer is 254 N M

How long is the cord? 30 m?

You might want to consider the change in potential energy from the falling car mg*h as being offset by the potential energy to stop the car at 6 times the length of the cord. How do you calculate the stored potential energy in a spring? The work required to stretch the spring? And work is what? Force over a distance? And for a spring that would be 1/2 k x2? And change in potential energy is also work? Hmmm... sound like a possibility?

Last edited:

Yah i will have ago at that now, would one of you mind doing the question step by step for me i have a tone of questions like this and am not really sure how to go about it.

Unfortunately, he cannot do any part of the question for you as per PF rules. Just tell us what you don't understand and we'll try to help you.

Dont worry I figured it out from what he told me. thanks
What a stupid rule not being able to show how the question is done.

pat666 said:
Dont worry I figured it out from what he told me. thanks

You see, you were given a hint and you did the question by yourself.

What a stupid rule not being able to show how the question is done.

That's what this rule is for - to force lazy people to do their work with as little help as they need. As proven above, it works.

yeah i suppose you do understand it more if you do it yourself. Thanks again

pat666 said:
yeah i suppose you do understand it more if you do it yourself. Thanks again

That would be the idea then.

Good luck.

Related to Calculating the Spring Constant of a Bungee Cord Used for Car Bungee Jumping

1. What is hard complex reasoning?

Hard complex reasoning is a cognitive skill that involves analyzing and understanding complex information, and using logical and critical thinking to solve problems or make decisions. It requires the ability to break down and interpret complex concepts, and to think creatively and systematically to reach a solution.

2. Why is hard complex reasoning important?

Hard complex reasoning is important because it is a crucial skill for success in many areas of life, including academia, science, and business. It allows individuals to approach challenges and problems in a structured and effective manner, and to make well-informed decisions based on evidence and logical thinking.

3. How can I improve my hard complex reasoning skills?

Improving hard complex reasoning skills takes practice and effort. Some ways to improve include regularly engaging in challenging mental activities, such as puzzles and brainteasers, reading and learning about diverse topics, and seeking feedback and guidance from others. It is also important to cultivate critical thinking and problem-solving habits, such as questioning assumptions and considering alternative perspectives.

4. Can hard complex reasoning be taught?

Yes, hard complex reasoning can be taught and developed. While some individuals may have a natural aptitude for it, anyone can improve their hard complex reasoning skills through practice and learning. There are also courses and resources available that specifically focus on developing critical thinking and complex reasoning abilities.

5. What are some real-world applications of hard complex reasoning?

Hard complex reasoning is valuable in many real-world situations, such as in scientific research, business decision-making, and legal and policy analysis. It is also important for everyday problem-solving, such as in managing personal finances and making important life decisions. Additionally, hard complex reasoning is essential for understanding and evaluating complex issues and arguments in the media and in society.