Calculating the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets

In summary, the formula for calculating the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets is F = (k * m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force of repulsion, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), m1 and m2 are the magnetic strengths of the two magnets, and d is the distance between the two magnets. The magnetic strengths of two magnets can be determined by using a magnetometer and the distance between the two magnets affects the force of repulsion according to the inverse square law. The formula is specifically for two point magnets with equal and opposite poles and cannot accurately calculate the force for more complex magnets. If the magnetic
B-RY
Homework Statement
I have been asked to complete a student experiment in which I decided to describe the inverse exponential relationship between the force of repulsion and the distance between two magnets.

I was wondering whether it be possible to calculate the theoretical value for the force at each distance?
Relevant Equations
I found this formula on the internet: F=K((m1m2)/((mu)xr^2))
Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not only distance but relative NS direction angle and even size of magnet matter. The general formula between the magnets is rather complicated. The formula you referred is force between hypothetical magnet charges as if N and S were separable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets shows some examples of various configurations.

Thankyou!

B-RY said:
the inverse exponential relationship between the force of repulsion and the distance between two magnets.
Inverse exponential!?
Inverse quadratic maybe.

haruspex said:
Inverse exponential!?
Inverse quadratic maybe.
Inverse square. My bad.

1. How do I calculate the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets?

The theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * m1 * m2)/(4π * r^2), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two magnets, and r is the distance between the two magnets.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the force of repulsion between two magnets?

The unit of measurement for the force of repulsion between two magnets is Newtons (N).

3. Can the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets be negative?

No, the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets is always positive, as like poles of magnets repel each other.

4. How does the distance between two magnets affect the force of repulsion?

The force of repulsion between two magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two magnets increases, the force of repulsion decreases.

5. Is the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets the same as the actual force observed in experiments?

No, the theoretical force of repulsion between two magnets is an idealized calculation and may not always match the actual force observed in experiments due to factors such as imperfections in the magnets or external influences.