Calculating the Torque that a fan would exert on a Hex shaft

In summary, the speaker has a 5/8" hex shaft turning at 90 RPM and wants to add a 2.7 N.m load to it. They plan on mounting a fan on the shaft to create the torque, but are unsure how to calculate the torque that would be added by the fan. They are considering making or buying a fan based on the load it could add. The conversation also includes discussions on the precision of the load, the power consumed by the fan, and potential solutions such as using a prony brake or a gear motor. Ultimately, it is suggested that the speaker should consult with a company that makes industrial fan blades for more accurate and reliable results.
Roger Dodd
I have a 5/8" hex shaft that is turning at 90 RPM that I need to add a 2.7 N.m load to it. The shaft is running in a dust box. I would like to mount a fan on the hex shaft to create the torque but I am unsure how to calculate the torque that would be added by the fan. Would anyone be able to help me with this problem?
I will be making or buying the fan based on what load it could add.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why 2.7 N.m ? That's quite a precise figure.

Overall I think that will be difficult/impossible to predict exactly what torque a given fan will produce under those conditions. For example the fact that it's in a dust box rather than free air or a duct will invalidate the manufacturers data. I think you will need to experiment and adjust the fan either by changing the pitch of the blades or trimming the diameter until the torque is right.

90rpm = 9.4 rads/sec
so the power consumed by the fan will be about 2.7 * 9.4 = 25W.

To try and get in the ball park I looked at data on some ceiling fans. Found a typical 1.2m fan rotates at around 300-400 rpm and consumes 50-60W.

The fan laws here..
https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ces...nergy-saving-fan-ppt-16-638.jpg?cb=1416964356
..can be used to estimate the power a ceiling fan would draw at your lower rpm.

New Power/Old Power = (New RPM / Old RPM)3

New Power = 55*(90/350)3
= approx 1W

So we're talking about a fan bigger than a 1.2m ceiling fan. I think you will have to talk to one of the companies that make industrial fan blades for cooling towers and the like.

Roger Dodd said:
I have a 5/8" hex shaft that is turning at 90 RPM that I need to add a 2.7 N.m load to it.

I would put a 5/8" socket on the shaft then run a prony brake on the socket.

You could hack something simple like this together in an hour.

Or buy a basic version off the shelf.

If you want to load up the shaft indefinitely then a cheap DC gear motor run as a generator will work. Vary the electrical load (power resistors,light bulbs etc) across the motor terminals to adjust the torque load.

90 rpm is a bit slow for a motor/generator approach. Probably need to gear it up.

CWatters said:
90 rpm is a bit slow for a motor/generator approach. Probably need to gear it up.

A gear motor (geared motor, gearbox motor etc), something similar to this. Though, That would be run outside just outside it's RPM range and the power rating is probably a bit low (And of course the gearbox needs to be backdrivable - so no worm drives) but I'm sure an appropriately specced gearmotor can be found.

Might work but I think the torque might depend a lot on the losses in the gearbox which aren't very predictable.

I think we need the OP to explain why such accuracy is needed.

1. How do you calculate the torque exerted by a fan on a hex shaft?

To calculate the torque, you need to know the force applied by the fan and the distance between the center of the hex shaft and the point where the force is applied. The torque can be calculated by multiplying the force by the distance (T = F x d).

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of torque is Newton-meters (N-m) in the International System of Units (SI). In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. How does the angle of the fan affect the torque on the hex shaft?

The angle of the fan has a direct impact on the torque. The greater the angle, the greater the torque. This is because the force applied by the fan is acting at a greater distance from the center of the shaft, resulting in a larger torque.

4. Is the torque the same for all types of fans?

No, the torque can vary depending on the type of fan. Factors such as blade size, shape, and speed can affect the torque. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the torque for a specific fan.

5. Why is it important to calculate the torque on a hex shaft?

Calculating the torque is important for understanding the overall performance and efficiency of the fan. It can also help in selecting the right type and size of fan for a specific application. Additionally, knowing the torque can aid in the proper installation and maintenance of the fan and hex shaft.