Calculating the trajectory of a robot

In summary, a computer science student is working on a robotics project involving a 2-wheeled robot that turns like a tank. The robot has a dummy wheel to prevent it from falling over. The student is struggling with determining the displacement and direction of the robot after a period of time, given the constant rotational velocities of the wheels and the distance between them. They know that the robot will move in a circle and the ratio of the wheel velocities will determine the radius of the circle. However, they are unsure of how to proceed from there and would appreciate any help.
eNathan
Greetings PF,

I'm a computer science student who is tasked with a robotics project. I've got a 2-wheeled robot (there's a 3rd dummy wheel on the back to prevent it from falling over) that turns like a tank, by means of turning one wheel faster than the other. If both wheels are the same speed, it goes forward. I've only studied basic mechanical physics and calculus.

The problem is this: Suppose the robot's floor is represented by a simple X Y plane, and the robot is currently at a specific point on the plane. The robot has 2 wheels of some diameter, spaced apart by each other by some distance. If the left wheel has some constant rotational velocity, and the right wheel has some constant rotational velocity, what displacement will the robot undergo after some period of time and what direction will it be facing?

I know that you can construct such a function. Since I'm not a physics major I'm really struggling with this. I know that if you give the wheels different speeds (rotational velocity) and let it just go, it will basically go in a big circle. If I can, for instance, compute the radius of this representative circle, I know the robot will just follow along the arch and the rest of the computation should be easy. I don't know how to proceed from there though..

Any help would be awesomely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both wheels will make circles, and the ratio of their radii is the same as the ratio of the wheel velocities (assuming no slipping). You know the distance between the wheels, that allows to calculate those numbers. I don't know which point you choose as "the robot position", but if it is in between the robot radius will be the average of the two wheel values.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the trajectory of a robot?

The purpose of calculating the trajectory of a robot is to determine the path that the robot will follow in order to complete its designated task. This involves predicting the robot's movement and planning its path to ensure efficient and accurate navigation.

2. How is the trajectory of a robot calculated?

The trajectory of a robot is calculated using mathematical equations and algorithms that take into account factors such as the robot's dimensions, speed, and environment. These calculations can be done manually or with the help of computer software.

3. What are some key factors that affect the trajectory of a robot?

Some key factors that affect the trajectory of a robot include its starting position, speed, acceleration, and the presence of obstacles or other environmental constraints. The robot's design and capabilities also play a role in determining its trajectory.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate the trajectory of a robot?

Accurately calculating the trajectory of a robot is crucial for ensuring its successful completion of a task. A small miscalculation can lead to errors in movement and potentially cause the robot to deviate from its intended path, resulting in incomplete or incorrect tasks.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in calculating the trajectory of a robot?

Yes, there can be limitations and challenges in calculating the trajectory of a robot. Factors such as unpredictable environmental conditions, sensor inaccuracies, and complex tasks can make it difficult to accurately predict and plan the robot's path. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations may also be affected by the complexity and speed of the robot's movements.