Would my turning mechanism for my robot work?

In summary, the individual suggests using a tail wheel as a stabilizer and having separate motors for each main wheel for better maneuverability and power. They also mention building 100Kg fighting robots and offer further assistance if needed. They also mention a car called Messerschmitt KR200 which is known for being unstable and suggest building the robot with a low center of gravity to avoid tipping over. They also mention using a "righting mechanism" for fighting robots.
noodlesnoah
I am making a robot and was wondering if this mechanism will work to turn my robot.
Below is a small diagram of my robot. The main wheels are by the circle and there are a few small not power ones for stablisation in the tail.
If I rotated the part pointed to in the tail or just the tail would it turn my robot?
turning.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you could steer with the rear wheel as long as you have forward or backward motion (the Germans built a car with that design about 80 years ago) but you would be way better off just having the tail wheel as a stabiliser (like a caster wheel you get on a shopping trolley) and having separate motors for each of the main wheels, it would give far more manoeuvrability and power and even let you spin on the spot . I have built 100Kg fighting robots so if you need further assistance just let me know.

1569181419559.png

Likes jedishrfu
Your diagram is so sparse it’s hard to say what we are looking at.

From your description, it seems to be an aerial view of your robot on the ground. If you had two wheels for the globe part and one wheel for the tail part then it would act like a children’s trike but going backwards. Check out the photo in the previous post that magically appeared just now.

travellinglee said:
Yes, you could steer with the rear wheel as long as you have forward or backward motion (the Germans built a car with that design about 80 years ago) but you would be way better off just having the tail wheel as a stabiliser (like a caster wheel you get on a shopping trolley) and having separate motors for each of the main wheels, it would give far more manoeuvrability and power and even let you spin on the spot . I have built 100Kg fighting robots so if you need further assistance just let me know.

View attachment 250043
What was the car called I wanted to see it for research on stability and can't find it.

noodlesnoah said:
I am making a robot and was wondering if this mechanism will work to turn my robot.
Below is a small diagram of my robot. The main wheels are by the circle and there are a few small not power ones for stablisation in the tail.
If I rotated the part pointed to in the tail or just the tail would it turn my robot?
View attachment 250036
Are your drive wheels on a solid shaft?
If so, turning the back wheel could just produce it to skid on the ground, rather than turn the vehicle.
If the front wheels are independent drive, then you still have to match the rpm's of each front drive wheel to the turn of the vehicle, otherwise the back wheel will be again in skid mode maybe more than turning the vehicle mode.

noodlesnoah said:
What was the car called I wanted to see it for research on stability and can't find it.
Messerschmitt - a German builder, they are most well known for building the messerschmitt 109 aeroplane that was the German equivalent of the British Spitfire in the WWII. You'll find it hard to find anything about specs as the Kr200 car is sooo old. B UT what you will find is reports that they were extremely UNSTABLE. 3 wheeler's have a tendency to fall over going around corners regardless of if the single wheel is at the back or the front (the pic here is of a Reliant Robin 3 wheeler). However, if you build your bot to have a low center of gravity you'll be fine, you have not said what the purpose of the bot actually is but if you can build it wide and low rather than tall and thin as well as put heavy stuff like batteries as low down in the chassis as possible then you should stay the right way up. With fighting bots which always have a low center of gravity, you still expect to get flipped so we build in 'righting mechanisms' take a look at this https://robotwars.fandom.com/wiki/Self-righting_mechanism

1569192766127.png

1. Can my robot's turning mechanism be controlled remotely?

Yes, it is possible to design a turning mechanism that can be controlled remotely through a wireless connection. This can be achieved by incorporating a motor and a receiver module in the robot's design.

2. How precise is the turning mechanism of my robot?

The precision of the turning mechanism depends on various factors such as the type of motor used, the gear ratio, and the overall design of the mechanism. With careful design and calibration, it is possible to achieve a high level of precision in the turning movement.

3. Can the turning mechanism be adjusted for different turning angles?

Yes, the turning mechanism can be designed to allow for different turning angles. This can be achieved by incorporating a servo motor or a stepper motor that can be programmed to turn at specific angles.

4. Will the turning mechanism work on different surfaces?

The turning mechanism can be designed to work on different surfaces, but the type of surface may affect the performance of the mechanism. For example, a robot may turn differently on a smooth surface compared to a rough surface due to differences in traction.

5. How durable is the turning mechanism?

The durability of the turning mechanism depends on the materials used in its construction and the frequency of use. With proper maintenance and quality materials, the turning mechanism can be designed to withstand frequent use and last for a long time.