Calculating the Volume of a 6-Sided Box

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a box with six faces, where the top and bottom faces are square and the remaining faces are identical. The solution involves using the formula for the volume of a pyramidal frustum and calculating the values for A1, A2, and h from the given information. The final answer is 312 cm^3.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a box that has six faces .The top and bottom faces are square . THe other faces are all identical. What is the volume of the box ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• geometry 333.jpg
    geometry 333.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your attempt so far? I.e. method and calculations? :smile:

Hint: It is Pyramidal Frustum. Correct me if I am wrong.

njama said:
Hint: It is Pyramidal Frustum. Correct me if I am wrong.

No that's what I was thinking too :wink: cheers njama on posting the link :smile:

OK, so thereddevils give that a go now! :smile:

Axiom17 said:
No that's what I was thinking too :wink: cheers njama on posting the link :smile:

OK, so thereddevils give that a go now! :smile:

ok so from the formula for volume of a pyramidal frustum is given by

V=1/3(A1 + A2 + root(A1)(A2))(h)

the height is root(18)

A1=100 , A2=16

i got V=220 cm^3

but the answer given is 312 cm^3.

According to the diagram h = 6 cm.

Yes the formula is:

[tex]V=\frac{1}{3}h \left( A_{1}+A_{2}+\sqrt{A_{1}\times A_{2}} \right)[/tex]

Where [itex]A_{1}[/itex] is the bottom area, [itex]A_{2}[/itex] is the top area, and [itex]h[/itex] is the height. Refer to your diagram for these values.

If you check that you're using all of the correct values :wink: , then you'll get the answer.

:smile:

Related to Calculating the Volume of a 6-Sided Box

1. How do you calculate the volume of a 6-sided box?

To calculate the volume of a 6-sided box, you will need to know the length, width, and height of the box. Simply multiply these three measurements together to find the volume. The formula for volume is: V = l x w x h.

2. What units are typically used to measure the volume of a 6-sided box?

The most commonly used units for measuring the volume of a 6-sided box are cubic inches, cubic feet, or cubic centimeters. However, any unit of volume can be used as long as all measurements are in the same unit.

3. Can the volume of a 6-sided box be negative?

No, the volume of a 6-sided box cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. Is it important to label the units when calculating the volume of a 6-sided box?

Yes, it is important to label the units when calculating the volume of a 6-sided box. This helps to ensure that the correct units are used throughout the calculation and helps to avoid any errors.

5. Can the volume of a 6-sided box be greater than the sum of its dimensions?

Yes, the volume of a 6-sided box can be greater than the sum of its dimensions. This can happen if the box has a curved or irregular shape, where the dimensions are not equal to the length, width, and height of the box. In this case, the volume can be calculated using more complex mathematical formulas.