Calculating the work done on a motorcycle and rider

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving calculating work, power, and forces. The experts provide guidance on finding the correct calculations and formulas to use, including factoring in both translational and rotational kinetic energy. They also mention the need to consider forces such as gravity and drag in the calculations. Finally, they discuss the appropriate formula for finding power in this scenario.
member 661905
Homework Statement
A motorcycle and rider have a combined mass of 350kg.

The wheels each have a mass of 20kg, diameter of 500mm and radius of gyration of 200mm.

The rider accelerates from 5m/s to 25m/s over a distance of 100m, whilst climbing a hill of slope 1 in 20.

The average resistance to motion, including drag, is 120N.

a) Determine the total work done as the motorcycle ascends the incline.

b) Calculate the amount of power developed during the climb.

c) Explain the energy transfer that is taking place within this system.
Relevant Equations
YET TO FIND
IN PROGRESS

Physics news on Phys.org
You should really be able to do a). Where does all the work that the motor does go?
for b) I think you have to assume constant acceleration

willem2 said:
You should really be able to do a). Where does all the work that the motor does go?
for b) I think you have to assume constant acceleration

Please have a look if I am right

Your calculation of acceleration is correct. The calculation for the force needed to cause this acceleration ignores that you force to get the wheels to rotate as well.
You also add the 120N resistance to the force, and then you subtract it again later.
Your calculation of the force needed to overcome gravity doesn't make it into the final answer.

Finally when you calculate the power, you use P = F.V. You can only use this to calculate the average power if either the force or the speed is constant. If the acceleration is constant, both the force and the speed change.
You also use the energy instead of the force in this calculation, so your answer is much too high.
It's probably easier to use Power = Energy/time for b) since you already calculated the energy in a)

PLEASE IF POSSIBLE CAN YOU PROVIDE ME YOUR SOLUTION TO STUDY
THANKS FOR THE TIME

crixavey said:
PLEASE IF POSSIBLE CAN YOU PROVIDE ME YOUR SOLUTION TO STUDY
THANKS FOR THE TIME
That's not how things work on the homework forums.

As willem wrote, you found the acceleration ok, but you do not need that for part a.
Try to find the initial KE (don't forget the rotational energy of the wheels) the final KE, and the work done against gravity and friction.

haruspex said:
That's not how things work on the homework forums.

As willem wrote, you found the acceleration ok, but you do not need that for part a.
Try to find the initial KE (don't forget the rotational energy of the wheels) the final KE, and the work done against gravity and friction.
Thanks Willem2 and haruspex , please have a look what i have done on the question .
I solved the continuation of the question too =
At another point in its journey, the motorcycle and rider travel at 80 km/h around a left-hand bend of radius 30m. Calculate:

• The angular velocity of each of the wheels.

• The moment of inertia of each wheel.

• The magnitude and effect of the gyroscopic torque produced on the bike.

crixavey said:
Thanks Willem2 and haruspex , please have a look what i have done on the question .

First, when you're calculating force, you're ignoring the gravity force. Additionally, you don't really need to calculate forces in this problem.Also, when you use the formula
##W=Fs##​
You're only factoring in translational kinetic energy. In order to final total kinetic energy you need both translational and rotational kinetic energy.
##W_{total}=\Delta T = \Delta T_{rot}+\Delta T_{trans}=\Delta [2*\frac{1}{2}I_{w}(\frac{v}{r})^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}]##​

To calculate the work done by the engine, simply add the work needed to overcome gravity and drag.

##W_{engine}=W_{total}+W_{g}+W_{D}##
Where ##W_{g}=mgs(sin(\theta ))## and ##W_{D}=F_{D}s##

When finding power, you shoud use ##P_{av}=\frac{W}{t}## where ##t=\Delta v/a##

1. How do you calculate the work done on a motorcycle and rider?

The work done on a motorcycle and rider is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the motorcycle and rider by the distance traveled in the direction of the applied force.

2. What is the formula for calculating work done?

The formula for calculating work done is: W = F x d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

3. How do you determine the force applied to a motorcycle and rider?

The force applied to a motorcycle and rider can be determined by measuring the acceleration of the motorcycle and rider and using the formula F = m x a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

4. How does the weight of the motorcycle and rider affect the work done?

The weight of the motorcycle and rider affects the work done by increasing the force needed to move them and therefore increasing the amount of work done.

5. Can the work done on a motorcycle and rider be negative?

Yes, the work done on a motorcycle and rider can be negative if the applied force is opposite to the direction of motion, resulting in a negative value for work.