Calculating Threshold Voltage for an Op-Amp Circuit

In summary: So, in general any opamp will swing more than +/-3 volts with a 5 volt supply, but the actual maximum output voltage will be less (±2.7 volts, for example).In summary, the opamp needs headroom, or room between the supply voltage and the output of the opamp, in order to operate. The maximum output voltage swing of the opamp is ± 3 V for when the supply is ± 5 V. This means that the upper threshold voltage should be 8 volts and the lower threshold at 2 volts.
Enochfoul
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums
Hi,

I need to calculate the threshold voltage for an op amp circuit.

I am given "The maximum output voltage swing of the op-amp is ± 3 V for when the supply is ± 5 V."

Would this mean that I should calculate the upper threshold voltage as 8V and the lower threshold at 2V?

I have added an image of the Waveform and circuit I am using.

Thanks

Attachments

• Op Amp 3.jpg
    Op Amp 3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
At first - using the term "threshold voltage" you should know the definition of that term.
Otherwise you cannot find the values.
So - what is the definition?

LvW said:
At first - using the term "threshold voltage" you should know the definition of that term.
Otherwise you cannot find the values.
So - what is the definition?
A threshold is an amount, level, or limit on a scale. So in this case a threshold voltage should be a voltage limit within the circuit.

Enochfoul - having a look onto your circuit, I see an opamp with positive feedback.
Question: Do you know what such a circuit does? Is it an amplifier or something else?
You must know and understand the function of the circuit - without that you will not be able to know the meaning of "threshold voltage" for THIS kind of circuits.

This is a comparator which is a decision making circuit that makes use of an operational amplifiers very high gain in its open-loop state. It compares one analogue voltage level with another analogue voltage level.

Enochfoul said:
"The maximum output voltage swing of the op-amp is ± 3 V for when the supply is ± 5 V."

Would this mean that I should calculate the upper threshold voltage as 8V and the lower threshold at 2V?

Hmmmm

Be more literal.
Where'd you get 8 ?
IF the opamp has only 5 volts available to it, how can it make its output go beyond 5 ?
Most opamps need some "headroom" between supply and output. There exist special ones that do not, they are called "rail to rail " . 741 has been around since 1967 long before rail-to-rail came about.
So its output can only approach ±5, and they're telling you how close it can come.
Taking them at their word they say your 741 needs 2 volts of headroom, look again at your quote above.

That's a natural mistake to make when just starting out.
Enochfoul said:
So in this case a threshold voltage should be a voltage limit within the circuit.
Are you sure you have that right ?

thresh·old
ˈTHreSHˌ(h)ōld/
noun
noun: threshold; plural noun: thresholds
  1. 1.
    a strip of wood, metal, or stone forming the bottom of a doorway and crossed in entering a house or room.
    synonyms: doorstep, doorway, entrance, entry, door, gate, gateway, portal, doorsill
    "the threshold of the church"
  2. 2.
    the magnitude or intensity that must be exceeded for a certain reaction, phenomenon, result, or condition to occur or be manifested.
    "nothing happens until the signal passes the threshold"
    • the maximum level of radiation or a concentration of a substance considered to be acceptable or safe.
      "their water would meet the safety threshold of 50 milligrams of nitrates per liter"
      synonyms: lower limit, minimum
      "the human threshold of pain"
    • PhysiologyPsychology
      a limit below which a stimulus causes no reaction.
      "everyone has a different pain threshold"
    • a level, rate, or amount at which something comes into effect.
      "the tax threshold has risen to $10,492 of adjusted gross income"
Origin

Old English therscold, threscold ; related to German dialect Drischaufel ; the first element is related to thresh (in a Germanic sense ‘tread’), but the origin of the second element is unknown.

Last edited:
Enochfoul said:
This is a comparator which is a decision making circuit that makes use of an operational amplifiers very high gain in its open-loop state. It compares one analogue voltage level with another analogue voltage level.

Yes - that is correct.
Now - based on this description - I think the meaning of the term "threshold" is clear. When the input voltage reaches a certain value something happens. More than that, because of the positive feedback (a kind of memory) it is important if the input voltage is approachng this "certain" value from higher or lower voltage levels.
Further comment: I think, it is not necessary to further discuss opamp 741 properties and other rail-to-rail questions. The task requires to consider +- 3V as output limits. That`s all.

Likes Enochfoul
LvW said:
Further comment: I think, it is not necessary to further discuss opamp 741 properties and other rail-to-rail questions. The task requires to consider +- 3V as output limits. That`s all.

beginners need to comprehend the concept of 'headroom", that's all. Else the limits makes no sense and will not be accepted on faith.

That he mentioned 8 volts indicated confusion. I remember when opamps were not yet intuitive to me.

But i agree, needn't go further into them than that.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
jim hardy said:
I remember when opamps were not yet intuitive to me

old jim
It seems hard to believe that there was a time when it was not intuitive to me. Although there was such a time.

I wonder if it would help Enochfoul to think what the output is for the given triangular wave input? Then to relate the two graphs.

Enochfoul said:
I am given "The maximum output voltage swing of the op-amp is ± 3 V for when the supply is ± 5 V."

I think you mean half of these values?

It's sufficient to have a basic idea of what you'll be needing the comparator to do, so don't worry about the exact values of the threshold levels at this stage.

What you need first is to determine some design equations for the circuit: you need equations relating each threshold voltage to circuit parameters such as R1, R2, V4 and the OP-AMP's ± output (max). Have you studied this type of squaring circuit in your course?

1. What is threshold voltage?

The threshold voltage, also known as the threshold or turn-on voltage, is the minimum electric potential difference required to activate a device or to trigger a particular reaction.

2. How is threshold voltage determined?

The threshold voltage is determined by the properties of the materials used in a device, such as their bandgap and carrier mobility. It can also be affected by external factors like temperature and doping concentration.

3. What is the significance of threshold voltage in electronics?

The threshold voltage plays a critical role in determining the behavior of electronic devices. It determines when a device will turn on or off, and also affects its speed and efficiency.

4. Can the threshold voltage be changed?

Yes, the threshold voltage can be changed by altering the properties of the materials used in a device or by applying an external electric field. This can be done through processes like doping, gate biasing, and stress engineering.

5. How does threshold voltage impact the design of electronic devices?

The threshold voltage is an important consideration in the design of electronic devices, as it affects their performance and reliability. Designers must carefully choose materials and optimize device structures to ensure the desired threshold voltage is achieved.