Forces - Space Shuttle Takeoff Calculations

In summary, the total mass of a space shuttle and its launch vehicle is 2000t. The minimum size of the thrust force, to make the rocket move, is 2x10^6(9.81)N. The actual thrust of the rocket is F=30MN. The rocket will have a velocity of 5.19m/s2 after 1000t of fuel is consumed.
Taylan

Homework Statement

[/B]
The total mass of a space shuttle and its launch vehicle is
M=2000t.

a) What must be the minimum size of the thrust force, to make the rocket move?

b) The actual thrust of the rocket is F=30MN. What is its acceleration in the beginning?

c) Assume that a mass of a 1000t of fuel is burnt by the rocket in 120 seconds and the velocity of the gas that is coming out is 3.6x10^3 m/s. What velocity will the rocket have after 1000t of fuel is consumed if the acceleration is assumend to be constant?

Homework Equations

F= ma
F(Thrust)= ( [change in] m / t).v
m1v1 = m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 2x10^6(9.81) = 19.62MN

b) so the thrust is said to be 30 MN
F= ma --> a= F/m
m= 2x10^6
F= [30x10^6 - 2x10^6(9.81)] / 2x10^6 = 5.19 m/s2.

c) for c ı am confused because I just used to conservation of momentum to calculate the velocity that will be reached by the rocket but without using the time (120seconds) anywhere in my calculations;

0 = (-3.6x10^3)(1000t) + (2000t-1000t)(v2)
v2= 3.6x10^3 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylan said:
b) so the thrust is said to be 30(2000t).
No it was said to be 30 Mega Newtons.

For point c, the rocket exhaust after the rocket gained some speed, won't have the same speed as the rocket exhaust at t=0 and v=0, so this
conservation of momentum calculation won't work.
Since the acceleration is apparently constant (very unrealistic), you can calculate the speed of the rocket at any given t. The only thing you will need to know is how long the rocket can keep that up.

Likes Taylan
Taylan said:
a) no units for mass is given in the question so I assumed it to be kg.
The mass is said to be 2000t, the "t" being shorthand for a metric tonne (1000 kg).

Likes Taylan
Thank you for correcting my confusions about a and b. I am still unclear about c tho. Can you give me some other tips pls?

See if you can find the thrust (force) using the given information.

Likes Taylan
gneill said:
See if you can find the thrust (force) using the given information.

Yes I used F=(mass/t)v to find the thrust which gives out 30NM which is also stated in part b actually. But I wasn't able to link this with the velocity

Taylan said:
Yes I used F=(mass/t)v to find the thrust which gives out 30NM which is also stated in part b actually. But I wasn't able to link this with the velocity
Which of Newton's laws might tell you how the velocity is changing?

Likes Taylan
gneill said:
Which of Newton's laws might tell you how the velocity is changing?

Newton's first law says velocity will change if an external force is applied

Taylan said:
Newton's first law says velocity will change if an external force is applied
Yes. How will velocity change when a force is applied? (which other of Newton's laws tells you this?)

Likes Taylan
gneill said:
Yes. How will velocity change when a force is applied? (which other of Newton's laws tells you this?)

the second law says F=ma

Taylan said:
the second law says F=ma
Right. So which of those variables do you have information about?

Likes Taylan
gneill said:
Right. So which of those variables do you have information about?

So I can get to know the net force by net force = thrust - mg. and mass is known. this way ı found the acceleration which is asked in b. So ı know f,m and a.
but still not velocity?

How is velocity related to acceleration?

Likes Taylan
gneill said:
How is velocity related to acceleration?

ah so am I using u=0m/s a= 5.19m/s2 (from b) and t=120s ? a= (v-u)/t. But I already found the acceleration in b and they gave me all that info again in c which ı can use to find thrust and acceleration once again. and thrust was actually also given. that confused me I think. do you think the part c is weirdly formulated with all those extra info?

Taylan said:
do you think the part c is weirdly formulated with all those extra info?
Perhaps, but the point of part (c) may have been largely to get you find out about how to obtain the thrust.

Edit:

Strictly speaking you're using the info from part (c). They could have used different numbers there (but happened not to).

Likes Taylan
gneill said:
Perhaps, but the point of part (c) may have been largely to get you find out about how to obtain the thrust.

Edit:

Strictly speaking you're using the info from part (c). They could have used different numbers there (but happened not to).
I see. Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Taylan said:
do you think the part c is weirdly formulated with all those extra info?
It is worse than that - it is contradictory.
There is enough information to calculate the initial acceleration, as you did in part b, and to find the acceleration after 120 seconds. Since the latter is double the initial acceleration, which is to be taken as the constant value?

Are you sure it doesn't say to assume the rate of change of acceleration is constant? Or, even more reasonably, that the thrust should be assumed constant?

Yeah it says acceleration is constant, not the rate of change of acceleration :O

Taylan said:
Yeah it says acceleration is constant, not the rate of change of acceleration :O
To highlight the peculiarity of that, assuming the initial acceleration lasts for 120 seconds gives a speed of 624m/s; taking the thrust to be constant gives 2500m/s.

Likes Taylan
haruspex said:
To highlight the peculiarity of that, assuming the initial acceleration lasts for 120 seconds gives a speed of 624m/s; taking the thrust to be constant gives 2500m/s.

and how do you calculate the 2500m/s ?

Taylan said:
and how do you calculate the 2500m/s ?
Actually I blundered... let me recalculate that...

It's 1300m/s or so.
The standard rocket equation is logarithmic.
Do you know how to write down and solve differential equations?

Last edited:
Likes Taylan
No. But i came across this '' Tsiolkovsky rocket equation '' . Would that be useful?

Taylan said:
No. But i came across this '' Tsiolkovsky rocket equation '' . Would that be useful?
Yes, that is the standard equation.

Likes Taylan

1. How is the force of thrust calculated for a space shuttle takeoff?

The force of thrust for a space shuttle takeoff is calculated by multiplying the mass of the shuttle by the acceleration produced by the rocket engines. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration.

2. What other forces are involved in a space shuttle takeoff?

In addition to thrust, the other forces involved in a space shuttle takeoff are weight, drag, and lift. Weight is the force of gravity pulling the shuttle towards the Earth, while drag is the resistance caused by the air. Lift is the upward force that is generated by the shape of the shuttle's wings.

3. How do these forces affect the trajectory of the space shuttle?

The combination of these forces affects the trajectory of the space shuttle by determining its direction and speed. Thrust and lift work together to propel the shuttle upwards and counteract the force of gravity. Drag acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing the shuttle down.

4. How does the force of gravity change during a space shuttle takeoff?

The force of gravity remains constant during a space shuttle takeoff. However, as the shuttle gains altitude, the force of gravity decreases due to the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases.

5. How do scientists ensure that the forces are calculated accurately for a space shuttle takeoff?

Scientists use advanced mathematical equations and computer simulations to accurately calculate the forces involved in a space shuttle takeoff. They also conduct extensive testing and analysis to fine-tune the calculations and ensure the safety and success of the mission.