Calculating Time for Round Trip with Steady Wind - Air Race Problem

• Thread starter iluvphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an air race where an airplane must fly from Metropolis to Gotham City and back, with a constant airspeed of v. The question is how much time is required for the round trip if there is a steady wind of speed vw blowing towards the south. The answer is determined to be 2*D/sqrt(v^2-vw^2), taking into account the fact that the pilot must countersteer to prevent drifting off course. The correctness of the answer is confirmed and the conversation ends on a positive note.
iluvphys
Hello guys,
I just have a quick question concerning the following problem:

Problem
In an air race, an airplane flies from a point directly over Metropolis to a point directly over Gotham City, and then turns around and flies back to the starting point. The airspeed (that is, speed of the airplane relative to the air) is constant throughout the flight and equal to v. Gotham City lies a distance D due east of Metropolis.

How much time is required for the round trip if a steady wind of speed vw is blowing toward the south?

My answer is: 2*D/sqrt(v^2-vw^2).
Initially I had 2*D/sqrt(v^2+vw^2) but this is wrong considering the fact that the airplane would land south of the city where it was actually headed.

The reason i put the minus in is that the pilot is not allowed to drift off course so he has to countersteer which results in substracting the vw from v in order to get the vector pointing from gotham to metropolis.

Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
iluvphys said:
Hello guys,
I just have a quick question concerning the following problem:

Problem
In an air race, an airplane flies from a point directly over Metropolis to a point directly over Gotham City, and then turns around and flies back to the starting point. The airspeed (that is, speed of the airplane relative to the air) is constant throughout the flight and equal to v. Gotham City lies a distance D due east of Metropolis.

How much time is required for the round trip if a steady wind of speed vw is blowing toward the south?

My answer is: 2*D/sqrt(v^2-vw^2).
Initially I had 2*D/sqrt(v^2+vw^2) but this is wrong considering the fact that the airplane would land south of the city where it was actually headed.

The reason i put the minus in is that the pilot is not allowed to drift off course so he has to countersteer which results in substracting the vw from v in order to get the vector pointing from gotham to metropolis.

Is my answer correct?

Yes, you are correct. Nice work.

Thank you very much.
Have a nice day!

Related to Calculating Time for Round Trip with Steady Wind - Air Race Problem

What is the fastest airplane in the world?

The fastest airplane in the world is the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, which has a top speed of Mach 3.3 (2,193 mph).

How does an airplane fly so fast?

An airplane flies fast due to a combination of factors such as its aerodynamic design, powerful engines, and lightweight materials. These factors allow the airplane to overcome air resistance and generate enough lift to stay in the air at high speeds.

What is the average speed of a commercial airplane?

The average speed of a commercial airplane varies depending on factors such as the type of aircraft and its route. However, most commercial airplanes have a cruising speed of around 500-600 mph.

Can airplanes break the sound barrier?

Yes, some airplanes are designed to break the sound barrier, which is a speed of Mach 1 (767 mph). These airplanes are known as supersonic aircraft and include military jets and the Concorde, a now-retired commercial passenger jet.

Can airplanes fly faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light, which is about 670,616,629 mph. Therefore, airplanes cannot fly faster than the speed of light.