Calculating torque of rotator cuff muscle

In summary: The magnitude is the amount of force multiplied by the distance.For the direction, it is perpendicular to the applied force and the distance.
James_The_Ern

Homework Statement

[/B]
Rotator cuff strength test. Patient's elbow is flexed 90 deg. while the shoulder is abducted 90 deg. and externally rotated 90 deg. The therapist applies pressure to the dorsal surface of the hand/wrist. If this is the patient's dominant arm, and the length of her upper arm is 0.25 m and the distance from the elbow to the point the therapist applies the force is 0.20 m, answer the following: a) If the therapist is applying 40 N force, what is the internal moment this muscle group must generate to maintain a constant position / static equilibrium? b) If the muscle group can generate 14 Nm of torque when activated maximally, what is the greatest force the patient can resist before the arm starts to move? Assume z-axis runs through elbow / upper arm / shoulder.

Homework Equations

Torque = F * r.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have dealt with statics before usually in 2D. It seems more like a 3D problem and I'm a bit lost. The force is applied from the z-axis if we consider forearm be x-axis and lower arm be y-axis here. How do I project the forces and make the overall torque equal to 0 (since it's static equilibrium)?

Physics news on Phys.org
For those of us unversed in anatomy, it would help to provide a diagram.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/iedu-attachments-message/35d24530b326f0f94289c9fabe4dfc86_3c3d647d8dd92cd6a07f4de563fae997.pdf

Problem 6, this is the whole question with the picture. Thanks!

James_The_Ern said:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/iedu-attachments-message/35d24530b326f0f94289c9fabe4dfc86_3c3d647d8dd92cd6a07f4de563fae997.pdf

Problem 6, this is the whole question with the picture. Thanks!
In general, given a force applied to a rigid body and a point about which the body may pivot, the magnitude of the torque about the point is given by the magnitude of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance (that is, perpendicular to the line of action of the force) from the line of action of the force to the pivot. The direction of the torque, as a vector, is perpendicular to both the distance and the force.

For the torque about the shoulder, you can treat the elbow as rigid, so go directly from the applied force to its affect at the shoulder.

Thus, there will be a horizontal torque about the elbow, and a torque at some angle in the vertical plane about the shoulder.

haruspex said:
For those of us unversed in anatomy, it would help to provide a diagram.
haruspex said:
In general, given a force applied to a rigid body and a point about which the body may pivot, the magnitude of the torque about the point is given by the magnitude of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance (that is, perpendicular to the line of action of the force) from the line of action of the force to the pivot. The direction of the torque, as a vector, is perpendicular to both the distance and the force.

For the torque about the shoulder, you can treat the elbow as rigid, so go directly from the applied force to its affect at the shoulder.

Thus, there will be a horizontal torque about the elbow, and a torque at some angle in the vertical plane about the shoulder.

So, I have to determine that angle using trigonometry for the lengths given, right? I could find that angle using tan here. Now, what about equilibrium problem? I need to find the opposite torque that has the same magnitude, but the opposite direction?

James_The_Ern said:
So, I have to determine that angle using trigonometry for the lengths given, right?
Probably. It depends whether a single muscle group is responsible for opposing it or more than one. If more than one you might have to resolve the applied torque into components.
James_The_Ern said:
the opposite torque that has the same magnitude, but the opposite direction?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Probably. It depends whether a single muscle group is responsible for opposing it or more than one. If more than one you might have to resolve the applied torque into components.

Yes.
Is there a way you could show me the solution? It's quite hard for me to understand, although I believed I got it right. I'm trying to look at the free body diagram and I'm lost. This problem is due soon and I just can't figure it out.

James_The_Ern said:
Is there a way you could show me the solution? It's quite hard for me to understand, although I believed I got it right. I'm trying to look at the free body diagram and I'm lost. This problem is due soon and I just can't figure it out.
I can calculate the magnitude and direction of the torque about the shoulder, but I do not know enough anatomy to say which muscles have to counter it, and how they divide that up.
For the magnitude, just multiply the applied force by the distance from the point the force is applied to the shoulder.

1. What is torque and how does it relate to the rotator cuff muscle?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of the rotator cuff muscle, torque refers to the amount of force that the muscle can generate to rotate the shoulder joint.

2. How do you calculate the torque of the rotator cuff muscle?

The torque of the rotator cuff muscle can be calculated by multiplying the force generated by the muscle with the distance from the axis of rotation. This distance is usually measured as the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

3. What factors affect the torque of the rotator cuff muscle?

The torque of the rotator cuff muscle can be affected by several factors such as the force generated by the muscle, the lever arm (distance from the axis of rotation), and the angle of the force relative to the axis. Additionally, factors such as muscle strength, joint stability, and range of motion can also affect the torque.

4. How does the rotator cuff muscle contribute to shoulder stability?

The rotator cuff muscle plays a crucial role in shoulder stability by providing dynamic support and control to the shoulder joint. It helps to keep the head of the humerus (upper arm bone) in the socket of the shoulder blade, allowing for smooth and stable movements.

5. Why is it important to calculate the torque of the rotator cuff muscle?

Calculating the torque of the rotator cuff muscle is important for understanding the strength and function of the muscle in relation to shoulder movement and stability. It can also help in assessing muscle imbalances or weaknesses that may contribute to shoulder injuries or dysfunction. Additionally, knowing the torque can aid in designing effective rehabilitation or training programs for individuals with shoulder injuries or conditions.