Torque Calculations: Solve for Disc Revolutions with Opposing Torque

In summary, the torque is removed when the disc is rotating at 8.0 rad s-1 and an opposing torque of 14.5 N m is applied to slow it down. Using Newton's 2nd law for rotation, the angular acceleration can be calculated. Applying kinematic formulas, the number of revolutions the disc makes after the second torque is applied before coming to rest is 14 revs.
Kratos521
Homework Statement
The torque is removed when the disc is rotating at 8.0 rad s-1. An opposing torque of 14.5 N m is applied to slow the disc down. Calculate the number of revolutions the disc makes after the second torque is applied, before it comes to rest.
Relevant Equations
T=Is
W=Wo +at^(2)
W^(2)=Wo^(2) +2aθ
Homework Statement: The torque is removed when the disc is rotating at 8.0 rad s-1. An opposing torque of 14.5 N m is applied to slow the disc down. Calculate the number of revolutions the disc makes after the second torque is applied, before it comes to rest.
Homework Equations: T=Is
W=Wo +at^(2)
W^(2)=Wo^(2) +2aθ

The answer is 14revs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's Newton's 2nd law for rotation? (That will allow you to calculate the angular acceleration.)

Hi, Thank you for the reply. I know that T=Ia and that it is the sum of Torques that are used in the calculation but I still can't get the answer, can u give me a step by step guide for this question. Thx alot.

Now it's your turn to take a crack at solving the problem. Find the angular acceleration, then apply your kinematic formulas. (One of those formulas is exactly what you need.)

I get it now thx!

What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the formula for calculating revolutions in a disc with opposing torque?

The formula for calculating revolutions in a disc with opposing torque is revolutions = torque / (2 * pi * radius).

What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (N*m) or pound-feet (lb*ft).

How do I solve for revolutions in a disc with opposing torque?

To solve for revolutions, you will need to know the value of the torque and the radius of the disc. Plug these values into the formula revolutions = torque / (2 * pi * radius) and solve for revolutions.

Can I use the same formula for calculating revolutions in any type of object?

No, the formula for calculating revolutions with opposing torque is specifically for discs. Other objects may require different formulas or calculations.