Calculating Torque to Uprighten Structure: A Beginner's Guide

In summary: If you need to apply torque at an angle other than the 90 degree angle then you need to take into account the twist. Thanks for the clarification!In summary, CWatters states that the torque required to uprighten a structure will be the same regardless of the angle of application. Additionally, the pipe twist does not affect the required torque.
Martin_79

Homework Statement

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a question for which I need some assistance. My knowledge about this subject is limited, but I need te following:

For a project we need to specify the torque required to uprighten a structure when rotated to a certain angle. The structure is located at a distance where the torque can be applied.
I know how to calculate the torque exterted by the structure at an angle. However, I presume that, when the counteracting torque is to be applied at a certain distance, the calculation would be different. Additionally, the pipe will twist as a result of the structure rotation, but how does this influence the required torque to uprighten the structure?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Martin

Homework Equations

W(torque) = F (force) * a (arm)
a = sin (α) * distance CoG (relative to pipe centreline)

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 16 tonnes (156.96 kN)
Distance between CoG and pipe centreline = 0.5 m
α = 15 degrees (0.2618 radians)
a = sin (15) * 0.5 = 0.1294 m

W = 156.96 kN * 0.1294 m = 20.3 kNm

From this point onwards I do not know how and if additional calculations are required which include the twisting pipeline. The properties of the pipeline are:

Outer diameter = 300 mm
Wall thickness = 20 mm
Material = steel (E-modulus = 207 GPa)
Poisson ratio = 0.3

Attachments

• Torque problem.jpg
    Torque problem.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Martin_79: For the structure shown, the applied (required) torque will be the same. The torque calculation at a distance is not different. You already computed it correctly. Nice work. The pipe twist does not affect the required torque. There is no additional calculation required.

Last edited:
The pipe twist does not affect the required torque

The twist doesn't change the maximium torque but if the angle is specified at the torque end (rather then the load) end the curve of torque vs angle will move so max torque will occur at a different point.

Thanks for the reply!

CWatters, could you explain your reply a bit more? If I am correct, you mean that when torque is applied and there is a ristriction in the angle at which the torque can be applied, the maximum torque will not necessarily occur at the location of the structure to uprighten it? If so, how can I calculate the torque required if the angle of application is different?

No I'm not talking about a restriction.

The equation for the torque will be..

T = mgB Sin(θ)

m=mass
g=9.81 m/s^2
B = Length of the arm. (eg Distance B on your diagram.)
θ = The angle of rotation measured at the end with the arm/COG.

The max torque occurs when Sin(θ) = 1 (eg when the θ = 90, so the arm is horizontal).

The twist does not change the maximium torque. Nor does it change the angle of the arm at which max torque occurs.

That might be all you need to know. Problem solved.

However IF you need to know the angle of the other end (the end where the torque is actually applied) you have to take into account the twist. This might matter if you are trying to limit how far the arm rotates by controling how far the other end rotates.

Lets call the angle of the Arm end θa and the angle of the end where the torque is applied θt. Both measured from the vertical.

In the max torque position θa=90. However θt will be less due to the twist.

θt = θa - ∠twist

unfortunately ∠twist isn't a constant. It depends on the torque which will vary with θa.

Also when the arm end is vertical θa=0 so the torque must reduce to zero to stop the arm moving. So when the arm is vertical the twist will be zero.

So the angle that the torque end moves will be less than 90 degrees.

1. What is torque and why is it important in uprighting structures?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of uprighting structures, torque is important because it is the force that helps to counteract the weight and momentum of a structure and bring it back into an upright position.

2. How do I calculate torque to uprighten a structure?

To calculate the torque needed to uprighten a structure, you will need to know the weight and center of mass of the structure. The torque can then be calculated using the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force needed to uprighten the structure, and d is the distance between the point of rotation and the center of mass of the structure.

3. What factors can affect the amount of torque needed to uprighten a structure?

The amount of torque needed to uprighten a structure can be affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the structure, the type of surface it is resting on, and any external forces acting on the structure (such as wind or water).

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating torque for uprighting a structure?

Yes, it is important to always use caution when uprighting a structure and to follow all safety guidelines and regulations. Make sure to properly assess the weight and stability of the structure before attempting to upright it, and use appropriate equipment and techniques to avoid injury.

5. Can torque be used to upright any type of structure?

Torque can be used to upright many different types of structures, but the amount of torque needed may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the structure. It is important to carefully assess each situation and calculate the necessary torque to avoid causing further damage to the structure.

Calculating Torque to Uprighten Structure: A Beginner's Guide