Calculating Total Energy of Object

In summary, the total energy of an object with a horizontal velocity (constant, air resistance ignored) at its highest point with a vertical velocity of zero can be calculated using the equations PE = mgΔh and KE = 0.5mv^2, where m represents the mass, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, Δh represents the change in height, and v represents the velocity. The total energy can be found by adding the potential energy and kinetic energy together. In the given example with a mass of 5kg, a highest point of 3m, and a horizontal velocity of 2m/s, the total energy is calculated to be 157.15J. It is important to note that KE and PE should
Sixty3

Homework Statement

If a question asks to calculate total energy of an object that does have a horizontal velocity (constant, air resistance ignored), and it is at it's highest point so it's vertical velocity is zero.

I need to know how you'd calculate the total energy of this object.

Let's take mass as 5kg. And a highest point of 3m. Horizontal velocity of 2m/s. (I just made them up).

Homework Equations

Potential energy = mgΔh
Kinetic energy = 0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Pe= 5*9.81*3 = 147.15J
Ke= 5*2^2= 20/2 = 10J

10+147.15= 157.15J

I was just wondering if I am not leaving anything out, or if I'm even doing it correct! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sixty3 :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Sixty3 said:
Let's take mass as 5kg. And a highest point of 3m. Horizontal velocity of 2m/s. (I just made them up).

Pe= 5*9.81*3 = 147.15J
Ke= 5*2^2= 20/2 = 10J

10+147.15= 157.15J

I was just wondering if I am not leaving anything out, or if I'm even doing it correct! Thanks

Yes, that's fine …

at launch, and when on return to the ground, its KE is 157.15J.

(btw, we normally put a capital 'E' in KE and PE :wink:)

Related to Calculating Total Energy of Object

1. What is the total energy of an object?

The total energy of an object refers to the sum of its kinetic energy, potential energy, and internal energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or composition, and internal energy is the energy stored within an object's molecules and atoms.

2. How is the total energy of an object calculated?

The total energy of an object is calculated by adding its kinetic energy, potential energy, and internal energy. The equation for total energy is E = KE + PE + IE, where E is the total energy, KE is kinetic energy, PE is potential energy, and IE is internal energy.

3. Is the total energy of an object constant?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy of an isolated system remains constant. However, in real-world scenarios, energy can be converted from one form to another, so the total energy of an object may change. For example, a moving object's kinetic energy may be converted into heat energy due to friction.

4. How does the total energy of an object affect its motion?

The total energy of an object is directly related to its motion. An object with a higher total energy will have a greater velocity and thus, a greater kinetic energy. Additionally, an object with a higher total energy will have a greater potential energy, which can affect its motion depending on the type of potential energy (e.g. gravitational potential energy can cause an object to fall).

5. Can the total energy of an object be negative?

Yes, the total energy of an object can be negative. This typically occurs when the object has a negative potential energy, such as when it is at a lower gravitational potential compared to its starting point. Negative total energy can also be seen in systems with energy that is bound (e.g. a negative internal energy due to intermolecular forces).