Calculating Total Resistance & Tolerance of 2 Wires

In summary, total resistance is the overall resistance of a circuit, measured in ohms (Ω), and calculated by adding up the individual resistances of all components in the circuit. To calculate total resistance, Ohm's Law (R = V/I) is used, where R is the total resistance, V is the voltage applied to the circuit, and I is the current flowing through the circuit. Tolerance refers to the acceptable range of error in a component's stated resistance value and can significantly affect the accuracy of the calculation. The tolerance of a wire can be determined by looking at its specifications or datasheet, or by the color bands on a resistor. The total resistance of a circuit can never be lower than the individual resistances,
UrbanXrisis
If there were 2 wires, and one of the wire has a resistance of 50 Ohms with a tolerance of 5%, while the second wire has a resistance of 60 Ohms with a tolerance of 3%. The total resistance would be 110 Ohms but what about the total tolerance? Would it be 8%?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is 50+/-2.5, and the second is 60+/-2. The error in the sum is sqrt(2.5^2+2^2)=3 ohms. This equates to 3%.

Yes, the total tolerance would be 8%. This can be calculated by finding the range of possible resistance values for each wire and then adding them together. For the first wire, the range would be 47.5 Ohms to 52.5 Ohms (50 Ohms +/- 5%). For the second wire, the range would be 58.2 Ohms to 61.8 Ohms (60 Ohms +/- 3%). When added together, the total range is 105.7 Ohms to 114.3 Ohms. This means that the total tolerance is 8% (8.6 Ohms / 105.7 Ohms = 0.0815 = 8.15%).

Related to Calculating Total Resistance & Tolerance of 2 Wires

What is total resistance?

Total resistance refers to the overall resistance of a circuit, which is the measure of how much the circuit resists the flow of electricity. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is calculated by adding up the individual resistances of all components in the circuit.

How do I calculate total resistance?

To calculate total resistance, you need to know the individual resistances of all the components in the circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's Law (R = V/I) to calculate the total resistance, where R is the total resistance, V is the voltage applied to the circuit, and I is the current flowing through the circuit.

What is tolerance in relation to total resistance?

Tolerance refers to the acceptable range of error in a component's stated resistance value. It is usually expressed as a percentage and indicates how much the actual resistance can vary from the stated value. This is important to consider when calculating total resistance, as using components with a high tolerance can significantly affect the accuracy of the calculation.

How do I determine the tolerance of a wire?

The tolerance of a wire can be determined by looking at its specifications or datasheet. It is usually indicated as a percentage or a range of values. Additionally, the color bands on a resistor can also indicate its tolerance, with gold representing a tolerance of 5%, silver representing 10%, and no color indicating a tolerance of 20%.

Can the total resistance of a circuit be lower than the individual resistances?

No, the total resistance of a circuit can never be lower than the individual resistances. In fact, it is always equal to or greater than the individual resistances, as the addition of resistances in a circuit will always increase the overall resistance. This is known as the principle of series circuit.