Calculating Vectors (in Joules) of an electromagnet

In summary, an electromagnet at a 45 degree incline from an electron beam is exerting 0.75 Tesla on the beam. This vector is orthogonal to both the magnetic field and the particle motion at the same time. Acceleration is done via electric fields.
Blackhawk4560
Good afternoon,

Question: Say I have an electromagnet at a 45 degree incline from an electron beam. This electromagnet is exerting 0.75 Tesla on the beam. How can I calculate the vector that the electromagnet will exert on a particle? Note, this is for my own curiosity, not for any homework assignment- Therefore, feel free to make up numbers if needed...

I hope I explained well enough, if not, check out the attached image~

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Vectoring question.png
    Vectoring question.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
Blackhawk4560 said:
How can I calculate the vector that the electromagnet will exert on a particle?
The force vector?
This is just the Lorentz force: ## \vec F = q \vec v \times \vec B## with the cross-product. It is orthogonal to both the magnetic field and the particle motion at the same time.

If the deflection is significant, v and therefore the force will change while the electrons are passing the magnet.

Ohhhh I've worked with Lorentz prior, I totally forgot that they have a vector form... Anyway, so secondary question: How do magnets speed up electrons, like we see in CRT's and medical equipment? Wouldn't any magnet automatically slam an electron beam into the wall in order to be perpendicular? Again, hope I worded that in a pseudo-coherent manor...

Thanks again! The help is certainly appreciated!

They don't. Acceleration is done via electric fields.

Time-dependent magnetic fields can do that as well (as they induce electric fields), but that is rarely used for electron beams.

Ohhhh that makes sense- I am ashamed to say how long I spent with the right hand rule trying to get them to add up! Anyway, just to make sure I'm on the same page, Is it just a series of increasingly powerful/ timed anodes to pull the beam forward? I would figure as much... See the attached diagram

Thank you again for the support!

Attachments

• Vectoring question.png
    Vectoring question.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 491
A single anode can be sufficient. That is the basic idea of CRT tubes, conventional x-ray production and so on.

The energy is limited by the voltage, so for very high energies (more thana few MeV) other techniques have to be used. Switching the voltages of the (multiple) electrodes is one approach and leads to the concept of a linac.

Beautiful- Thank you again for your time!

1. What is a vector in relation to an electromagnet?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the case of an electromagnet, the vector represents the strength and direction of the magnetic field it produces.

2. How do you calculate the vector (in Joules) of an electromagnet?

The vector of an electromagnet can be calculated by multiplying the current in the wire by the number of turns in the coil and the area of the coil. This is represented by the equation B = μ0 * (N * I)/A, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, I is the current, and A is the area.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the vector of an electromagnet?

The unit of measurement for the vector of an electromagnet is the Joule (J). This unit represents the amount of energy transferred when a force of one Newton acts on an object in the direction of its motion for a distance of one meter.

4. How does the vector of an electromagnet affect its strength?

The vector of an electromagnet directly affects its strength. The larger the vector, the stronger the magnetic field produced by the electromagnet. This means that increasing the current, number of turns, or area of the coil will result in a stronger electromagnet.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the vector of an electromagnet?

Calculating the vector of an electromagnet is crucial in many real-life applications. It is used in the design and operation of electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and other electromagnetic devices. It is also used in industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and telecommunications.