Is Poynting vector the electromagnetic density of momentum?

In summary, during a conversation about the Poynting vector and the electromagnetic density of momentum, it was discussed that these two quantities differ in magnitude, units, and physical meanings. While they are related by a constant factor of 1/c^2, there may be other differences between them. It was also mentioned that when doing a boost to the energy momentum vector, inconsistent results were obtained unless the EM field was a radiated wave with orthogonal E and B fields of equal magnitude in CGS units. This leads to the thought that the Poynting vector and the electromagnetic density of momentum may differ in something other than a constant.
SergioPL
I learned that the Poynting vector was the electromagnetic density of momentum but recently, while reading the Electromagnetic_stress–energy_tensor article at Wikipedia, I thought about the implications of the momentum conservation equation and arrived to an inconsistency, this equation is:

tpEM - ∇·σ + ρE + J × B = 0

Where pEM is the electromagnetic density of momentum and ∇·σ is the divergence of the Maxwell stress tensor,

This equation is similar to the equation for the flow of EM energy: ∂tuEM + ∇·S + J·E = 0. Where uEM is the EM energy and S is the Poynting vector.

For a static point charge it is easy to see that ∇·σ=0 everywhere (excluding the charge itself), however, let's imagine that we want to measure ∂tpEM in a point which a point charge far away at -R x and moving with speed +v x, in this case, ignoring constants and taking c=1, we would have:

∇·σ = ∂xσxx + ∂xσxy + ∂xσxz

With:
xσxy = + 1 / r^5
xσxz = + 1 / r^5

xσxx = (1 + v/(1-v)) (1/2) ∂r(1/r^4) = -2 (1 + v/(1-v)) * 1 / r^5

Therefore we have:
xpEM = ∇·σ = - v/(1-v) * 2 / r^5

The term v/(1-v) is caused because a modification in the distance to the source causes the retarded time to change, causing an additional contribution to the variation of position from the charge to the point (that contribution is the difference in the retarded time multiplied by the particle's speed).

Because each change dt in time, the source position has moved dt v/(1-v), the change in the momentum from infinite (p=0) to a position X can be calculated as:

p(X) = ∫ ∂xpEM * ∂r/∂t dt = (1/2)E^2

Where E^2 is just the squared electric field evaluated at X (let it be X the vector from the charge to that point.

This way we have obtained a momentum that is independent on the velocity, on the other hand, it is easy to check that the magnetic field of this particle would be zero in the x axis and therefore, the Poynting vector will also be 0.

This makes me to conclude that the Poynting vector and the EM momentum are not the same.

Can anybody tell me what may I have done incorrectly?
Sergio

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I did a mistake in my calculations, p(X) is really 0, there is nothing weird on it.

The Poynting vector is NOT the electromagnetic density of momentum.
They differ in magnitude and units, and have different physical meanings.

clem said:
The Poynting vector is NOT the electromagnetic density of momentum.
They differ in magnitude and units, and have different physical meanings.

The electromagnetic density of momentum and the Poynting vector differ in a 1/c^2 factor but everywhere I look I see p = S/c^2.

The Poynting vector contains the intensity of EM energy flowing through a surface, it makes sense that the magnetic momentum is the intensity of "relativistic electromagnetic mass" flowing through a surface and hence it would be 1/c^2 times the Poynting vector since m = E/c^2.

Is there any other know difference between Poynting vector and EM density of momentum?

My concern arises because when I do a boost to the energy momentum vector [u, S], I get inconsistent results except if the EM field is a radiated wave (i.e. E, B orthogonal and with equal magnitude in CGS units). That makes me to think that the Poynting vector and the EM density of momentum may differ in something else than a constant.

SergioPL said:
The electromagnetic density of momentum and the Poynting vector differ in a 1/c^2 factor but everywhere I look I see p = S/c^2.
If they "differ", they are different.
The only possible bilinear combination of E and B that is a vector is EXB. This means that all possible combinations different only by a constant factor. Are they all the same?

1. What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity that represents the direction and rate of energy flow in an electromagnetic field. It is named after physicist John Henry Poynting, who first described it in 1884.

2. How is the Poynting vector related to momentum?

The Poynting vector is related to momentum through the law of conservation of momentum in electromagnetic systems. It represents the density of electromagnetic momentum, which is the momentum carried by electromagnetic waves.

3. Can the Poynting vector be measured?

Yes, the Poynting vector can be measured using specialized instruments such as a Poynting probe or a directional antenna. It can also be calculated from other known quantities, such as the electric and magnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of the Poynting vector in electrodynamics?

The Poynting vector is a fundamental concept in electrodynamics, as it describes the flow of energy in electromagnetic fields. It is used to calculate the intensity of electromagnetic radiation, as well as to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials and environments.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Poynting vector as the electromagnetic density of momentum?

There are some alternative theories to the Poynting vector, such as the Abraham-Minkowski controversy, which proposes a different expression for the density of electromagnetic momentum. However, the Poynting vector is currently the most widely accepted concept in the scientific community.