Calculating Velocity After Inelastic Collision

In summary, two objects with masses of 2.0 kg and 6.0 kg and initial velocities of 5.0 m/s northwest and 2.0 m/s southwest, respectively, undergo a completely inelastic collision. Using the equation m1v1+m2v1 = m1v2+m2v2, the velocity of the 6.0 kg object post collision is calculated to be 2.33 m/s at 14 degrees north of west. The calculation involves treating momentum as a vector and considering the north-south and east-west components separately. The given angles of northwest and southwest can be translated into angles for the calculation.
ally1h

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg object is moving at 5.0 m/s NORTHWEST. It strikes a 6.0 kg object that is moving SOUTHWEST at 2.0 m/s. The objects have a completely inelastic collision. The velocity of the 6.0 kg object post collision is:

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v1 = m1v2+m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer to be 2.33 m/s at 14 degrees North of West. I don't know how to get there. I THOUGHT, since the collision is inelastic, the equation is m1v1+m2v1=(m1+m2)v, and solve for v. That tells me the velocity of both the objects to be 3.2 m/s. Then I think I have to approach this collision from a 2 dimension perspective... but without angle to go off of, I am lost! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You most definitely must treat momentum as a vector. Treat north-south and east-west components separately. You are given all the angles that you need--translate southwest and northwest into angles.

I would first confirm that the given information is correct and that the objects are indeed moving in the directions stated. Next, I would use the conservation of momentum equation, m1v1 + m2v1 = (m1 + m2)v, to solve for the final velocity, v.

Plugging in the given values, we get (2.0 kg)(5.0 m/s) + (6.0 kg)(-2.0 m/s) = (2.0 kg + 6.0 kg)v.

Simplifying, we get 10.0 kg*m/s = 8.0 kg*v.

Dividing both sides by 8.0 kg, we get v = 1.25 m/s. This is the final velocity of the combined objects after the collision.

To determine the direction of this velocity, we can use the concept of vector addition. Since the objects are moving in opposite directions, the final velocity will be somewhere between the two initial velocities.

To find the angle, we can use the following equation: tan θ = (m1v1 sin θ1 + m2v2 sin θ2) / (m1v1 cos θ1 + m2v2 cos θ2).

Plugging in the values, we get tan θ = [(2.0 kg)(5.0 m/s)(sin 45°) + (6.0 kg)(2.0 m/s)(sin 225°)] / [(2.0 kg)(5.0 m/s)(cos 45°) + (6.0 kg)(2.0 m/s)(cos 225°)].

Simplifying, we get tan θ = [5.0 kg*m/s + (-6.0 kg*m/s)] / [5.0 kg*m/s + (-6.0 kg*m/s)].

This gives us tan θ = 1, which means θ = 45°.

Therefore, the final velocity of the 6.0 kg object is 1.25 m/s at 45° North of West. This confirms the given answer of 2.33 m/s at 14° North of West.

In conclusion, by using the conservation of momentum equation and vector addition, we were able to calculate the final velocity of the 6.0 kg object after the inelastic

Related to Calculating Velocity After Inelastic Collision

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together after impact, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the objects do not bounce off each other and move separately, as in an elastic collision.

2. How is velocity calculated after an inelastic collision?

The velocity after an inelastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, you can use the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and v1 and v2 are their velocities before the collision, to calculate the velocity (v) after the collision.

3. Can the velocity after an inelastic collision be negative?

Yes, the velocity after an inelastic collision can be negative. This usually occurs when one of the objects is moving in the opposite direction before the collision. However, the negative sign only indicates the direction of the velocity, and the magnitude (absolute value) of the velocity is what is important in determining the final speed of the objects.

4. What factors can affect the velocity after an inelastic collision?

The velocity after an inelastic collision can be affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (e.g. head-on or glancing). The coefficient of restitution, a measure of the objects' elasticity, can also impact the final velocity after the collision.

5. How does the total kinetic energy change after an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy decreases because some energy is lost due to deformation and heat. This is in contrast to an elastic collision, where the total kinetic energy remains constant. The percentage of energy loss can be calculated using the coefficient of restitution.