Calculating Velocity: Child on Ice with Thrown Ball - Physics Help

• Thread starter ArchAngel1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
The child's velocity will change as she throws the ball, but the total momentum of the system (child and ball) should be conserved.In summary, a child weighing 28.0 kg is sliding on ice at a velocity of 2.25 m/s in the positive x direction while holding a 2.4 kg ball. When she throws the ball straight ahead with a velocity of 2.70 m/s in the x direction, her velocity immediately after releasing the ball can be found using the principle of momentum conservation since there is no rotation involved. No information about the radius or mass is needed to solve this problem.
ArchAngel1985
The question I'm having trouble with is:
A child of mass 28.0 kg is sliding on ice with a velocity of 2.25 m/s in the positive x direction. She is holding a 2.4 kg ball in her hand. She throws the ball straight ahead of her with a velocity of 2.70 m/s (in the x direction). What is her velocity immediately after releasing the ball?

I think I need to get the rotational inertia for the ball to get its kinetic energy but I'm not given a radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
ArchAngel1985 said:
I think I need to get the rotational inertia for the ball to get its kinetic energy but I'm not given a radius.
You won't need rotational inertia. (No reason to think rotation is involved here.)

Instead, what physical principles might be relevant? Is anything conserved as she throws the ball?

I think that if the mass is not given you are expected to consider only the translational K.E.

Think about momentum!

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While both velocity and speed measure how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction of the movement, while speed does not.

3. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

4. What are the units for velocity?

The units for velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. How can I find the velocity of an object?

To find the velocity of an object, you will need to know its displacement (change in position) and the time it took to move that distance. You can then use the formula v = d/t to calculate the object's velocity.