Calculating Vertical Height with Ground Reaction Force, Mass, and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using ground reaction force, mass, and time to find the vertical height of a jump. The suggested steps are to first find the impulse, then velocity, and finally use s.u.v.a.t. equations to find the distance, with the initial velocity being zero at the top of the jump.
phambino
Is it possible to find the vertical height of a jump using ground reaction force, mass, and time? I might be wrong, but I think my steps would be to find the impulse, then velocity, then somehow get the vertical height with that..so far I have change in velocities using FΔt / m = ΔV. From here I don't know how to get to the initial velocity...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible. To get the initial velocity, remember that the final velocity (i.e. the velocity at the top of the jump) will be zero. Then you should be able to use s.u.v.a.t. equations to find the distance.

1) What is vertical height?

Vertical height is the distance from the ground to the highest point of an object or structure, measured in a straight line.

2) How do you find the vertical height of an object?

The vertical height of an object can be found by using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or tape measure, and measuring the distance from the ground to the highest point of the object.

3) Can you find the vertical height of an object without measuring?

Yes, there are various mathematical formulas and equations that can be used to calculate the vertical height of an object based on other known measurements, such as the angle of elevation or the length of a shadow.

4) What is the difference between vertical height and vertical distance?

Vertical height refers to the shortest distance from the ground to the highest point of an object, while vertical distance can be any distance between two points along a vertical line.

5) Why is knowing the vertical height important?

Knowing the vertical height of an object is important in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It can also help with navigation and understanding the dimensions and proportions of objects.