Calculating Voltage Drop with Non-Constant Speed

In summary, the formula V=-N∫dB/dt(dot)dA can be used to find voltage drop for a coil with a magnet passing through it.
Son-of-Shem
so I'm working on a physics lab report, and I've derived the following formula

V=-N∫dB/dt(dot)dA

then I used the chain rule to turn it into

V=-N∫dx/dt * dB/dx(dot)dA

my question is, can I pull the dx/dt out of integral? I was doing the experiment, and measured the voltage drop, and varied the speed. the speed isn't constant, as it's the speed of a (frictionless) cart going down a ramp

'cause this formula ( V=-Nv∫dB/dx(dot)dA ) would be much better for my data anaylsis

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Son-of-Shem! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What is your A ? :confused:

You can pull the dx/dt outside the ∫ if it doesn't depend on your variable of integration (A) :wink:

thanks,

yeah... I should have mentiond that, shouldn't I... oops.

A is the area. I just wasn't sure since v depended on x, and there was a dx in there, if it was ok to pull that out...

I'm completely confused …

I guessed A would be area, but area of what? :confused:

sorry, I'll start over from the beginning.

I send a cart with a magnet down a ramp, and through a coil of wire with 200 turns, sitting perpendicular to the tabletop, and measure the maximum voltage drop. The formula I found (using magnetic flux) is V=-N∫dx/dt * dB/dx(dot)dA

so A is the area of the coil.

if I can pull out dx/dt, then ∫dB/dx(dot)dA=-V/Nv, which is a measurable quantity :)

my question is: can I do that?

Last edited:
Hi Son-of-Shem! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

isn't A a constant? :confused:

why are you integrating?

yeah, it is constant...

I was trying to find voltage drop, which is -dΦ/dt

and dΦ=B(dot)dA

so Φ=∫B(dot)dA

so d/dt(∫B(dot)dA)=dΦ/dt

then V=-d/dt(∫B(dot)dA) (for a 1 turn coil)

or V=-d/dt(N∫B(dot)dA) (for coil w/ N turns)

and since area doesn't change with time...

then V=-N∫dB/dt(dot)dA

and by chain rule

then V=-N∫dx/dt * dB/dx(dot)dA

so V=-N∫v * dB/dx(dot)dA

my TA seemed to give the impression that the dB/dx term would interfere with my ability to remove v from the integral... that coupled with the fact that the velocity is actually changing (sqrt(2gh)) with x (height depends on x)

I believe that the magnetic field felt at the coil depends on the area of it, so the db/dx term can't be taken out...

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Voltage Drop with Non-Constant Speed

1. What is the formula for calculating voltage drop with non-constant speed?

The formula for calculating voltage drop with non-constant speed is V = I * (R + L * dI/dt), where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, R is the resistance, L is the inductance, and dI/dt is the rate of change of current over time.

2. How do I determine the resistance and inductance values for this calculation?

The resistance and inductance values can be found using multimeter measurements or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications for the circuit components. In some cases, these values may need to be estimated based on the type of circuit and its intended use.

3. Can this formula be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, this formula can be used for both AC and DC circuits. However, the value for dI/dt may differ depending on the type of current and the circuit's time-varying characteristics.

4. How does non-constant speed affect voltage drop in a circuit?

Non-constant speed can cause fluctuations in the current, which can also cause fluctuations in the voltage drop. This is because the rate of change of current (dI/dt) is a factor in the calculation. As the speed changes, the rate of change of current also changes, leading to a varying voltage drop.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect voltage drop with non-constant speed?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect voltage drop with non-constant speed, such as changes in temperature, changes in the circuit's load, and the presence of other electrical components in the circuit. These factors may also need to be taken into account when calculating voltage drop in a non-constant speed scenario.