Calculating Volume of Described Solid with Equilateral Cross-Sections

In summary, the base of the region S is a triangular shape with vertices (0, 0), (5, 0), and (0, 5). When taking cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis, the resulting shape is an equilateral triangle. To find the volume of this triangle, the equation A(y) = ((5-y)^2)/2 can be used and integrated from 0 to 5. There was a typo in the Attempt at a Solution, which was corrected to (5-y). The issue has been resolved.
Nicolaus

Homework Statement

The base of S is the triangular region with vertices (0, 0), (5, 0), and (0, 5). Cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are equilateral triangles.
Find V of described triangle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wrote the equation of the line in terms of x (x = 4-y), which is the base. Since we are dealing with an equilateral triangle the area of the cross section would be A(y)= ((4-y)^2)/2 and so the integral to calculate the volume is A(y)dy from 0 to 4.
Since I am arriving at the supposedly wrong answer, what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolaus said:

Homework Statement

The base of S is the triangular region with vertices (0, 0), (5, 0), and (0, 5). Cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are equilateral triangles.
Find V of described triangle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wrote the equation of the line in terms of x (x = 4-y), which is the base.
I don't see where your equation comes from. What's the equation of the line between (5, 0) and (0, 5)?
Nicolaus said:
Since we are dealing with an equilateral triangle the area of the cross section would be A(y)= ((4-y)^2)/2 and so the integral to calculate the volume is A(y)dy from 0 to 4.
Since I am arriving at the supposedly wrong answer, what am I missing?

Likes 1 person
It's a typo; meant 5-y. I figured out the problem. Thanks for your interest in helping.

What is the definition of "Volume of Described Solid"?

The volume of a described solid is the amount of space that the solid occupies or fills up. It is measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

How is the volume of a described solid calculated?

The calculation of volume varies depending on the shape of the solid. For example, the volume of a cube can be found by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. The volume of a cylinder is calculated by multiplying the area of the base by the height. There are specific formulas for calculating the volume of different shapes.

What is the difference between volume and surface area?

Volume refers to the amount of space that a solid occupies, while surface area is the total area that the surface of the solid covers. In simpler terms, volume is how much a solid can hold, and surface area is how much space it takes up on the outside.

Why is knowing the volume of a described solid important?

The volume of a described solid is important in many real-world applications, such as construction and engineering. It helps determine the amount of material needed to build a structure, or the capacity of a container. In science, volume is also used to measure the amount of a substance in a solution or the size of a sample in an experiment.

Can the volume of a described solid be negative?

No, the volume of a described solid cannot be negative. Volume is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space that a solid occupies. Negative values do not make sense in the context of volume.