Calculating Volume of Ellipsoidal Propane Tanks

In summary: The calculator will take into account the elliptical or cylindrical shape of the propane tank, as well as its overall height and the depth of the propane inside.
GroundSpider
I have a project I am working on that requires me to calculate the overall volume of propane tanks and the volume at a set distance from the bottom of the tank. The tanks come in two major configurations, ellipsoid ends with elliptical tank or hemispherical ends with cylindrical tank. I think the formula for the ellipsoid would work for the hemispherical tanks if we just set the dimensions to make a circle instead of an ellipse. I have attached an image to help clear this up.

W = Width of the ellipse
D = Depth of the ellipse
H = Overall height of tank
P = Height of propane in tank (This is used to calculate overall fill % of the tank)
E = Height of elliptical end

Essentially I need help determining the volume of a section of an ellipsoid end.

View attachment 3315

Attachments

• eliptical tank copy.jpg
    eliptical tank copy.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to compute these volumes, you will need to know the area of an ellipse, so that you can then use this as part of a volume element.

I would begin with the general equation of an ellipse centered at the origin:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1\)

Knowing the ellipse has symmetry across both coordinate axes, we need only find the area in the first quadrant, and then quadruple this result.

So, we need to solve the equation for $y$, and take the positive root...what do we get?

If you are just interested in quoting the answer, there are easy formulas for the area of an ellipse and the volume of an ellipsoid. The area of an ellipse with semi-axes $a$ and $b$ is $\pi ab$. The volume of an ellipsoid with semi-axes $a$, $b$ and $c$ is $\frac43\!\pi abc$. Notice that when the semi-axes are all equal, these reduce to the familiar formulas for the area of a circle and the volume of a sphere.

Those formulas should enable you to find the volume of propane provided that the depth of propane is sufficient that it completely fills the hemi-ellipsoidal base of the tank (that is, if $P > E$ in your diagrams). If $P<E$ then the calculation will be harder. The formula given here for the volume of an ellipsoidal cap, where the semi-axes are $a$, $b$ (the horizontal axes) and $c$ (the vertical axis), filled to a depth $h$, is \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi ab}{3c^2}h^2(3c-h).\)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Opalg! That is exactly what I needed. I am writing a specialized calculator to facilitate manufacturing of a float gauge that determines the tank's fill level.

Question 1: What is the formula for calculating the volume of a propane tank?

The formula for calculating the volume of a propane tank is V = π * r^2 * h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the tank, and h is the height of the tank.

Question 2: How do I measure the radius and height of a propane tank?

To measure the radius of a propane tank, you can use a tape measure or ruler to measure the distance across the circular base of the tank. To measure the height, you can use the same tools to measure the distance from the base to the top of the tank. Alternatively, you can also consult the manufacturer's specifications for the dimensions of the tank.

Question 3: Can I use the same formula for calculating the volume of all propane tanks?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of a propane tank is specific to cylindrical tanks. If the tank is a different shape, such as a sphere or rectangular prism, a different formula will need to be used to calculate its volume.

Question 4: How do I convert the volume of a propane tank from cubic inches to gallons?

To convert the volume from cubic inches to gallons, you can use the conversion factor of 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches. Simply divide the volume in cubic inches by 231 to get the volume in gallons.

Question 5: Why is it important to calculate the volume of a propane tank?

Calculating the volume of a propane tank is important for many reasons. It allows you to determine the maximum amount of propane that the tank can hold, which is crucial for safety and efficient use of the tank. It also helps with planning and budgeting for propane refills. Additionally, knowing the volume of a propane tank is necessary for determining the appropriate tank size for specific applications.