Tank Mass Balance Calculation for Designing w/ Automatic Float Switch

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a mass balance calculation for designing a tank with an automatic float switch and valve. The goal is to have a representative model of the tank to ensure proper functionality. The equation used was A(dh/dt) = Qin - Qout, which was rearranged and integrated to get the final equation h(t) = [(Qin-Qout)/A] * Δt. The units were also checked to confirm correctness.
mudweez0009
I'll be using a mass balance calc for a tank design at work. We are designing a tank that has an automatic float switch on it, attached to a valve which will start filling the tank when the water level drops below a certain point. This tank is intended to drain quickly (flow rate not known at this time), but the fill rate will not be as large as the discharge rate. I want to have a representative model of the tank so we can ensure it will function properly.

Anyway, I just want to double check to see if I did this correctly. I think I did, as its relatively simple, but another set of eyes never hurts.

What I have done so far:
I'll skip the intro equation sorting, and get to the generic equation below:
A(dh/dt) = Qin - Qout

Where,
A = Tank area
h = tank height
Q = flow rate

My attempt:
I moved "A" and "dt" to the right-hand side, and got:
dh = (Qin - Qout)/A * dt

I then integrated to get h(t):
h(t) = [(Qin-Qout)/A] * Δt

I think this would be correct, as the units leave me with "ft"
Q (ft3/s) * 1/A (1/ft2) * Δt (s) = ft.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good ! Carry on !

What is a tank mass balance calculation?

A tank mass balance calculation is a method used in engineering to determine the mass of fluid or material inside a tank. It takes into account the inflow and outflow of the tank, as well as any changes in density or volume, to accurately calculate the mass of the contents.

Why is a tank mass balance calculation important?

A tank mass balance calculation is important in designing tanks, especially those with automatic float switches, because it ensures that the tank is able to accurately measure and control the amount of fluid or material it contains. This is crucial for maintaining safe and efficient operations.

What factors are considered in a tank mass balance calculation?

The main factors considered in a tank mass balance calculation include the inflow and outflow rates, density and volume of the fluid or material, and any changes in these factors over time. Other factors that may be taken into account include temperature, pressure, and any external forces acting on the tank.

How does an automatic float switch work in a tank mass balance calculation?

An automatic float switch is a device that is typically placed inside the tank and is used to detect the level of fluid or material inside. This information is then used in the tank mass balance calculation to accurately determine the mass of the contents. The float switch may also be connected to other systems, such as pumps or valves, to automatically control the inflow and outflow of the tank.

What are some potential challenges in conducting a tank mass balance calculation?

Some potential challenges in conducting a tank mass balance calculation include accurately measuring the inflow and outflow rates, accounting for changes in density and volume over time, and dealing with any external factors that may affect the tank. It is also important to regularly calibrate and maintain the automatic float switch to ensure accurate readings.