Calculating Volume of Steel for 230-L Steel Drum with Gasoline

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total volume of steel material in a 230-liter steel drum filled with gasoline, in order for the drum to float completely when immersed in fresh water. The conversation also addresses the discrepancy between the volume of gasoline and the total volume of the drum. The correct method for solving this problem is to use the weight of the gasoline and steel, the volume of water displaced, and the relationship between the weight of water displaced and the weight of gasoline plus steel.
Nemo's

Homework Statement

A 230-l steel drum is completely full of gasoline. What total volume of steel material can be used in making the drum if the gasoline filled drum is to float in fresh water with the whole volume immersed?

Homework Equations

ρwater=1000 kgm^-3
ρgasoline=680 kgm^-3
ρsteel = 7800 kgm^-3

The Attempt at a Solution

Fb=mdrum*g
ρwater*Vdrum=msteel+mgasoline
ρwater*(Vsteel+Vgasoline)=(ρV)steel+(ρV)gasoline
Then taking Vsteel subject and substituting with ρgasoline = 230*10^-3
Is this method correct ? I don't know whether the 230-l is the total volume of the drum or is it just the volume of gasoline?

Physics news on Phys.org
"A 230-l steel drum is completely full of gasoline." What does this sentence mean to you?

that the steel drum can take up to 230-l of gasoline and that it's completely full. So the volume of gasoline must equal 230-l right ?
But my tutor used 230-l as both the volume of gasoline and the total volume of the drum. I just can't see why he did that.

Nemo's said:
that the steel drum can take up to 230-l of gasoline and that it's completely full. So the volume of gasoline must equal 230-l right ?
But my tutor used 230-l as both the volume of gasoline and the total volume of the drum. I just can't see why he did that.
With all due respect to your tutor, the volume of gasoline is 230 liters. What is the weight of the gasoline? Let V represent the volume of steel. In terms of V, what is the weight of the steel. The total volume submerged is 230 + V. In terms of V, what is the mass of water displaced? What is the weight of the water displaced? If the whole drum volume is just immersed, how does the weight of water displaced compare with the weight of the gasoline plus steel?

Likes 1 person
O.K so I guess I'm doing it the right way. Thanks a lot

1. How do you calculate the volume of a steel drum?

The volume of a steel drum can be calculated by multiplying the area of the base (in square units) by the height of the drum (in units of length). This will give you the volume in cubic units.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a steel drum?

The formula for calculating the volume of a steel drum is V = π * r^2 * h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the drum.

3. How do you convert liters to cubic meters?

To convert liters to cubic meters, you can use the conversion factor of 1 cubic meter = 1000 liters. Simply multiply the number of liters by 0.001 to get the equivalent volume in cubic meters.

4. What is the volume of a 230-L steel drum in cubic meters?

The volume of a 230-L steel drum is equivalent to 0.23 cubic meters. This can be calculated by converting liters to cubic meters using the conversion factor of 1 cubic meter = 1000 liters.

5. How much gasoline can a 230-L steel drum hold?

This depends on the density of the gasoline. To calculate the amount of gasoline that can be held, you can divide the volume of the drum (in cubic meters) by the density of gasoline (in kilograms per cubic meter). The result will give you the maximum amount of gasoline that can be held in the drum.