Calculating Water Speed Leaving Hose Nozzle

In summary: Notice that the last equation you wrote isx(t)= 1.5m+ 1/2(-9.8)(t)^2= Vo(t) + 1/2(-9.8)t^2 which is the same asX(t)= Xo + Vot + 1/2at^2
FossilFew
Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When you quickly move away from the vertical you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0s. What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

What I know/don't know:

t (overall Time) = 2.0
Total distance = d2 +d1 +1.5m and that d2 = d1 +1.5m

Event 1
Initial velocity = ?
Final velocity = 0 m/s
a= -9.80 m/s^2

Event 2
Initial velocity = 0 m/s
Final velocity = ?
a= -9.80 m/s^2

I'm not sure how to proceed. I suspect I need a subsitution - may be time and distance? Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
FossilFew said:
Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When you quickly move away from the vertical you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0s. What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

What I know/don't know:

t (overall Time) = 2.0
Total distance = d2 +d1 +1.5m and that d2 = d1 +1.5m
What do d1 and d2 mean?

Event 1
Initial velocity = ?
Final velocity = 0 m/s
No, the final velocity is NOT 0 m/s!

a= -9.80 m/s^2

Event 2
Initial velocity = 0 m/s
Final velocity = ?
a= -9.80 m/s^2
event 2? What 2 events are you talking about?

I'm not sure how to proceed. I suspect I need a subsitution - may be time and distance? Any help is appreciated!

I assume you mean you hear the water striking the ground 2.0 seconds after starting the water rather than "for another 2.0s".

The height, after t seconds, is given by x(t)= 1.5+ v0t- 4.9t2 (the 1.5 is the initial height above the ground, v0 is the initial velocity that you want to find and -4.9 is g/2). Saying that the water strikes the ground after 2 s means that x(2)= 1.5+ v0(2)- 4.9(22)= 0. Solve that for v0.

I broke down d1 and d2 as distance 1 and distance 2. It looks like I didn't need to do that.

I think you assumption is correct. My head is still spinning a bit on x(t)= 1.5+ v0t- 4.9t2 . I'm just wondering why it wasn't broken into two parts (the first part being the upward motion of the water to the arc and then the arc of the water to the ground).

BTW thanks for help me with this problem. I appreciate it!

so is the answer -18.1 m/s?

How did you get that?

HallsofIvy said:
How did you get that?

this is how i got it

x(t)= 1.5m+ 1/2(-9.8)(t)^2

x(t)= 1.5-4.9(2)^2

x(t)= 1.5-4.9(4)

X(t)=-18.1

*if this is wrong please show me the correct steps and explanation of what i did wrong please

The initial velocity should be part of that equation.

Redbelly98 said:
The initial velocity should be part of that equation.

i don't understand please show me

Your physics textbook has 3 or 4 standard equations that deal with constant-acceleration motion. You were using one of them when you wrote (post #6)

x(t)= 1.5m+ 1/2(-9.8)(t)^2

Look in your book at the general equation where this comes from ... write out the equation as it's written in your book and show us what that equation is.

Redbelly98 said:
Your physics textbook has 3 or 4 standard equations that deal with constant-acceleration motion. You were using one of them when you wrote (post #6)

Look in your book at the general equation where this comes from ... write out the equation as it's written in your book and show us what that equation is.

the equation my book has is this X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2 you put X(t) and that what I am confused about shouldn't it be 1.5m=V(2)+1/2(9.8)(2)^2 and the final answer i got is -9.05m/s^2

ldbaseball16 said:
the equation my book has is this X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2 you put X(t) and that what I am confused about shouldn't it be 1.5m=V(2)+1/2(9.8)(2)^2 and the final answer i got is -9.05m/s^2

Don't be confused, you are doing it correctly now :smile: By the way, it seems that you are defining upward as positive, and downward as negative.

You correctly included Vo here, you did not include it in post #'s 4 and 6 (when you were getting a different answer).

Related to Calculating Water Speed Leaving Hose Nozzle

1. How do you calculate water speed leaving a hose nozzle?

The water speed leaving a hose nozzle can be calculated using the equation: velocity = flow rate / cross-sectional area. The flow rate can be measured using a flow meter, and the cross-sectional area can be determined by measuring the diameter of the nozzle and using the formula for the area of a circle.

2. How does the water pressure affect the water speed?

The water pressure is directly proportional to the water speed leaving the hose nozzle. This means that as the water pressure increases, the water speed will also increase. This relationship is governed by the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases.

3. What factors can affect the water speed leaving a hose nozzle?

Several factors can affect the water speed leaving a hose nozzle, including the water pressure, the diameter of the nozzle, the flow rate, and the type of nozzle used. Other factors such as the viscosity of the water and external forces like wind resistance can also have an impact on the water speed.

4. How can I increase the water speed from a hose nozzle?

To increase the water speed from a hose nozzle, you can either increase the water pressure or decrease the cross-sectional area of the nozzle. Increasing the water pressure can be done by using a more powerful pump or opening the valve more, while decreasing the cross-sectional area can be achieved by using a smaller nozzle.

5. Is there an optimal water speed for different applications?

Yes, there is an optimal water speed for different applications. For example, for watering plants or lawns, a gentle and steady water speed is preferred to avoid damaging delicate plants. However, for tasks like cleaning or firefighting, a higher water speed is needed to remove dirt or extinguish flames effectively. The optimal water speed will vary depending on the specific application and the desired outcome.