Calculating Weight Lifted by 11.6 PSI Air Compressor

• Thread starter thumperj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psi
In summary, the amount of weight that can be lifted by the air compressor depends on the pressure output and the cross-sectional area of the nozzle. The skin used will also play a factor, as it needs to stretch enough to accommodate the weight without bursting. The maximum weight that can be lifted is determined by the formula PN/g > m, where P is the pressure, N is the nozzle cross-sectional area, g is the acceleration of gravity, and m is the mass of the object to be lifted.
thumperj
psi --> pounds lifted?

I have a very, very small air compressor that puts out 0.8 bar or 11.6 PSI. I would like to know how to compute if I were to put a plastic skin over the top of the output (like a balloon), how much weight could be lifted by the air compressor.

I realize that part of the equation is going to be the stretchiness of the skin. Here’s the skin I'm using right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RFU0PS/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (Of course, I’d prefer to understand how the skin factors into the equation so that I can learn and do this myself.)

For a simple visual, think laying a book on top of an inflating balloon. How much can the book weight before the compressor maxs out?

Thank you in advance for some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Pressure is a force per unit area. Assuming the force is uniform across the nozzle, then the total upward force should be P x N, where N is the nozzle cross-sectional area.

In order to lift something, this force must overcome gravity, ie PN > mg, where m is the mass of the object to be lifted and g the acceleration of gravity.

The condition PN/g > m places an upper limit on the mass you can lift.

Related to Calculating Weight Lifted by 11.6 PSI Air Compressor

1. How do you calculate the weight lifted by an 11.6 PSI air compressor?

The weight lifted by an 11.6 PSI air compressor can be calculated using the formula W = P x A, where W is the weight in pounds, P is the pressure in PSI, and A is the area in square inches. In this case, the weight lifted would be 11.6 times the area of the object being lifted.

2. What is the significance of 11.6 PSI in calculating weight lifted?

11.6 PSI is the pressure exerted by the air compressor, which is a measure of how much force is being applied to an area. This pressure is important in determining the amount of weight that can be lifted by the air compressor.

3. Can the weight lifted by an 11.6 PSI air compressor vary?

Yes, the weight lifted by an 11.6 PSI air compressor can vary depending on factors such as the size and weight of the object being lifted, as well as the efficiency and power of the air compressor itself.

4. How does the weight lifted by an 11.6 PSI air compressor compare to other types of compressors?

The weight lifted by an 11.6 PSI air compressor may be lower or higher than other types of compressors, as it depends on the specific pressure and efficiency of each compressor. Generally, the higher the pressure, the more weight can be lifted.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an 11.6 PSI air compressor to lift weights?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using an 11.6 PSI air compressor to lift weights. This may include wearing safety gear, using the correct lifting technique, and ensuring the weight is securely attached to the compressor. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the air compressor to prevent any malfunctions or accidents.