Calculating Weight of Load Using Lever Force - 65 Characters

• Thread starter NateTheGreat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses using a lever to lift a heavy load and calculating the weight of the load. The formula for calculating work is mentioned, but the speaker is unsure of how to apply it to determine the weight. In the second part of the conversation, there is confusion about the concept of lifting another weight and how it relates to work. The speaker suggests using the formula for work to solve for the weight.
NateTheGreat

Homework Statement

A lever is used to lift a heavy load. When a 50-N force pushes one end of the lever down 1.2 m, the load rises 0.2 m. Calculate the weight of the load.I really am not sure how to go about this. I realize work = fd but calculating the weight is where i get lost.

Also, I had a question about:

In the hydraulic machine shown, it is observed that, when the small piston is pushed down 10 cm, the large piston is raised 12 cm. If the small piston is pushed down with a force of 100 NB, what is the most force that the large piston could exert?

Here I am completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean to lift up the other weight? Are you performing work on it? And how much work did the 50 N force create moving through 1.2 m? Those units are in N-m so that should be a clue. And if you did that much work to the other end of the lever and you know how far it moved then you should know the weight.

Scientist: Use the principle of mechanical advantage to determine the weight of the load. Force exerted on the lever is multiplied by the distance from the fulcrum to the load.

1. How do I calculate the weight of a load using lever force?

To calculate the weight of a load using lever force, you will need to know the length of the lever arm, the distance from the fulcrum to the load, and the amount of force applied to the lever. Use the formula: load weight = force x lever arm length / distance from fulcrum to load.

2. What is the formula for calculating weight of a load using lever force?

The formula for calculating weight of a load using lever force is load weight = force x lever arm length / distance from fulcrum to load. This formula applies to all types of levers, including first class, second class, and third class levers.

3. Can I use a lever to lift heavier loads?

Yes, levers can be used to lift heavier loads by increasing the length of the lever arm or by applying more force to the lever. However, the load weight cannot exceed the force applied to the lever multiplied by the lever arm length divided by the distance from the fulcrum to the load.

4. How does the position of the fulcrum affect the weight of the load I can lift?

The position of the fulcrum affects the weight of the load you can lift by changing the mechanical advantage of the lever. Moving the fulcrum closer to the load decreases the amount of force needed to lift the load, but also decreases the distance the load can be lifted. Moving the fulcrum further from the load increases the amount of force needed to lift the load, but also increases the distance the load can be lifted.

5. What are some real-world examples of using lever force to calculate weight of a load?

Some real-world examples of using lever force to calculate weight of a load include using a crowbar to lift a heavy object, using a seesaw to lift a person, and using a wheelbarrow to move heavy items. In each of these examples, the lever arm length, distance from the fulcrum to the load, and force applied to the lever can be measured to calculate the weight of the load being lifted.