Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy of Jet-Powered Train

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimental train from the 1950s that was powered by a jet engine for a distance of 500m. The work done on the train is not specified, and there is confusion about calculating the change in kinetic energy and final kinetic energy, as well as the final speed of the train if there was no friction. It is noted that the change in kinetic energy would be equal to the final kinetic energy if the train started at rest. The question of whether the speaker is missing something important or just misunderstanding the problem is posed.
DarkAnt
In the 1950s, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.5 x 10^4kg was powered across level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5 x 10^5N for a distance of 500m.
a) find the work done on the train.
b) find the change in kinetic energy.
c) find the final kinetic energy of the train if it started from rest.
d) find the final speed of the train if there was no friction.

ok, part A was easy. part b and c confuse me. since the train started at rest, wouldn't the change in kinetic energy be equal to the final kinetic energy?

am i missing something very important here or am i just missunderstanding this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by DarkAnt
... since the train started at rest, wouldn't the change in kinetic energy be equal to the final kinetic energy?
Yes.
am i missing something very important here or am i just missunderstanding this problem?
That depends on whether you can answer the questions correctly or not. :smile: If the questions seem too easy... you're probably right.

thanks doc

Related to Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy of Jet-Powered Train

1. How is work calculated for a jet-powered train?

The work done by a jet-powered train can be calculated by multiplying the force produced by the jet engine with the distance that the train moves in the direction of the force.

2. What factors affect the work done by a jet-powered train?

The work done by a jet-powered train is affected by factors such as the force produced by the jet engine, the distance the train travels, and any frictional forces acting against the train's movement.

3. How is kinetic energy related to the speed of a jet-powered train?

The kinetic energy of a jet-powered train is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the speed of the train increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. How can the kinetic energy of a jet-powered train be calculated?

The kinetic energy of a jet-powered train can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the train and v is its velocity.

5. How does the kinetic energy of a jet-powered train change over time?

The kinetic energy of a jet-powered train changes over time as the train speeds up or slows down. When the train is accelerating, its kinetic energy increases, and when it is decelerating, its kinetic energy decreases.