Calculating Work Done by a Variable Force

• Thread starter Sarah Kenney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force exerted on an object varies with its position according to the function Fx(x)=ax^2+bx^3, where a = 3 N/m^2 and b = -0.50 N/m^3. The work done on the object as it moves from x=−0.40 m to x = 2.0 m is 6.1 J. To find this, you will need to use calculus to integrate the force function and then calculate the difference between the values at the two endpoints.
Sarah Kenney

Homework Statement

The force exerted on a certain object varies with the object's position according to the function Fx(x)=ax^2+bx^3 where a = 3 N/m^2 and b = -0.50 N/m^3 .

What is the work done on the object by this force as the object moves from x=−0.40 m to x = 2.0 m?

Homework Equations

W=F*x

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I know that the answer is 6.1 J, I just don't know how they arrived at that conclusion. My attempt:
Fx(x)=(3)(-0.4)^2+(-0.5)(-0.4)^3 =0.512
Fx(x)=(3)((2)^2+(-0.5)(2)^3=8

Then I subtracted those two numbers to get 8-0.512=7.488 J
That's kind of close, but not quite. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarah Kenney said:
Ok, I know that the answer is 6.1 J, I just don't know how they arrived at that conclusion. My attempt:
Fx(x)=(3)(-0.4)^2+(-0.5)(-0.4)^3 =0.512
Fx(x)=(3)((2)^2+(-0.5)(2)^3=8
What you've done is calculate the value of the force at the two endpoints. Fx(x) is the value of the force as a function of x.

What's the definition of work? Hint: Since the force varies with position, you'll need a bit of calculus to find the work done.

Likes Sarah Kenney
It makes sense now. Thank you so much!

Likes Doc Al

Question 1: What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

Question 2: How is force exerted on an object?

Force is exerted on an object through direct contact, such as pushing or pulling, or through fields, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields.

Question 3: What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg•m/s²).

Question 4: How is force calculated?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. The formula for force is F = ma, where F is force in Newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared.

Question 5: How does the direction of force affect an object?

The direction of force affects an object's motion. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will increase its speed. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to decelerate or change its direction of motion.