Calculating Work Done by Expanding Gas in an Automobile Engine

In summary, the gas in the engine expands without doing any work, and the pressure at the end is 2.44x106 Pa.
Mtscorpion12

Homework Statement

In a cylinder of an automobile engine, immediately after combustion the gas is confined to a volume of 50.0 cm3 and has an initial pressure of 3.00x106 Pa. The piston moves outward to a final volume of 300 cm3, and the gas expands without energy transfer by heat. (a) What is the final pressure of the gas? (b) How much work is done by the gas in expanding?

Homework Equations

For this problem, assume the gas in the engine is diatomic with γ = 1.40

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved part (a) of this problem, which is 2.44x106 Pa, but I am having a lot of trouble with part (b). I have found the equation W = -∫VfViPdv, but don't know exactly what to do with that. I know pressure is not a constant, so it can't be brought out of the integral. I'm really not sure where I should even start with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyway you can express pressure as a function of volume?

Actually, can you determine the initial and final energies?

You know that PVγ = constant. This gives you enough information to perform the integration.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You know that PVγ = constant. This gives you enough information to perform the integration.

Chet
True, but you also know that the gas is diatomic, which allows you to determine the energy at the initial state and final state. No need to integrate.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
True, but you also know that the gas is diatomic, which allows you to determine the energy at the initial state and final state. No need to integrate.
Yes. I agree. You can determine the relation between the initial and final temperatures in terms of the initial and final pressures , and then use ΔU =nCvΔT.

Thank you both for the help. I ended up setting P = constant/Vγ and integrating from there. I appreciate it.

Related to Calculating Work Done by Expanding Gas in an Automobile Engine

1. What is work done by expanding gas?

Work done by expanding gas refers to the energy transferred by a gas as it expands against a constant pressure. This work is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done by expanding gas calculated?

The work done by expanding gas can be calculated using the equation W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the constant pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by expanding gas?

The amount of work done by expanding gas is affected by the pressure and volume of the gas. The higher the pressure and larger the change in volume, the more work is done by the expanding gas.

4. What is the relationship between work done by expanding gas and heat energy?

Work done by expanding gas is directly related to heat energy. When a gas expands, it does work on its surroundings and loses heat energy in the process. This is known as adiabatic expansion.

5. What are some real-world applications of work done by expanding gas?

Work done by expanding gas has many practical applications, such as in internal combustion engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in pneumatic tools and air compressors.