Calculating work done in this thermodynamic cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the execution and direction of a thermodynamic cycle, as well as the calculation of work using the first law of thermodynamics. The participants also mention the concept of clockwise and anticlockwise direction and its relation to the integral of TdS. They ultimately conclude that the direction of the cycle and the sign of the integral depend on the specific system and process being analyzed.
Urmi Roy

Homework Statement

In the thermodynamic cycle as shown,
a) What is the direction that the cycle is executed-clockwise or anticlockwise?
b) What is the work done?

Homework Equations

First law of thermodynamics for a cycle

E2-E1= Q-W= Tds-Pdv=0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that it should be clockwise because I read that when ∫Tds is positive, the cycle on a T-S diagram should be represented in the positive direction. However, I don't understand this completely.

b) I know it is the area inside the semicircle, but I don't know how I'm going to integrate it.

Attachments

• cycle.PNG
    cycle.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 850
Physics news on Phys.org
Urmi Roy said:
First law of thermodynamics for a cycle

E2-E1= Q-W= Tds-Pdv=0

Hi Urmi. How's it going?
Your first law equation above is incorrect. It should read:

E2-E1= Q-W= ∫Tds-∫Pdv=0. Note the integral signs.

As a result of this, because the change in internal energy around the cycle is zero, you must have that:

∫Pdv=∫Tds

What is the equation for the amount of work done in this reversible process on the surroundings?

Chet

Likes 1 person
Hi Chet! I'm doing fine. Preparing for H&M transfer next sem and revising thermo a bit.

So I understand about the integrals. As to your question, isn't it just that the area under the T-dS plot? Since we don't know what type of processes are represented by each line (adiabatic/polytropic) except for the straight line part (which is isothermal) we don't really have a formula to calculate the work, right?

Urmi Roy said:
Hi Chet! I'm doing fine. Preparing for H&M transfer next sem and revising thermo a bit.

So I understand about the integrals. As to your question, isn't it just that the area under the T-dS plot? Since we don't know what type of processes are represented by each line (adiabatic/polytropic) except for the straight line part (which is isothermal) we don't really have a formula to calculate the work, right?
Once you assume that the cycle is reversible, you have what you need. In that case P is the pressure of the gas, and the area of the cycle on the TS plot is equal to the work. You are not calculating the work directly from PdV, but you are using what you know about the first and second laws to deduce the amount of work.

Chet

Yup, that's what I said in the first post too. However, (maybe this is a math question) How do I calculate the area here? Its not just π*r^2...

Also you didn't say anything about the clockwise/anti clockwise concept...

Urmi Roy said:
Yup, that's what I said in the first post too. However, (maybe this is a math question) How do I calculate the area here? Its not just π*r^2...

Also you didn't say anything about the clockwise/anti clockwise concept...
Actually, if you look at the scales on S and T, to the eye it looks like, coincidentally, the integral actually is πr2/2. Regarding clockwise or anticlockwise, it depends on whether the system is doing work on the surroundings or whether the surroundings are doing work on the system. The problem doesn't say.

Right, so since the radius is 200K (along the temperature axis) and 200 KJ/K for the entropy axis, it's just pi*(200)^2?

Referring to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_cycle), I'm guessing even though in a cycle the net work is the same whether you go clockwise or anticlockwise, if you go anticlockwise, you're subtracting a larger value from the smaller value...so its negative...similarly in a T-S diagram.

I hope this sounds good.

Last edited:
Urmi Roy said:
Right, so since the radius is 200K (along the temperature axis) and 200 KJ/K for the entropy axis, it's just pi*(200)^2?

It's a semicircle, not a circle.

Referring to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_cycle), I'm guessing even though in a cycle the net work is the same whether you go clockwise or anticlockwise, if you go anticlockwise, you're subtracting a larger value from the smaller value...so its negative...similarly in a T-S diagram.

I hope this sounds good.
Just figure out which direction makes the integral of TdS positive and which direction makes it negative (on your figure).

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating work done in this thermodynamic cycle

1. What is the definition of work done in a thermodynamic cycle?

The work done in a thermodynamic cycle refers to the amount of energy that is transferred into or out of a system as a result of a change in its state variables, such as temperature and pressure.

2. How is work done calculated in a thermodynamic cycle?

The work done in a thermodynamic cycle can be calculated by integrating the pressure-volume curve over the entire cycle. This involves calculating the area under the curve, which represents the work done by the system.

3. What are the units of work done in a thermodynamic cycle?

The units of work done in a thermodynamic cycle are joules (J) or newton-meters (N*m), as work is defined as the product of force and displacement.

4. How does the direction of work done affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle?

The direction of work done can affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle. In an ideal cycle, the work done is always positive, meaning the system is doing work on the surroundings. However, in a real cycle, the work done may be negative, indicating that the surroundings are doing work on the system. This results in a decrease in efficiency.

5. Can work done be negative in a thermodynamic cycle?

Yes, work done can be negative in a thermodynamic cycle. This occurs when the system experiences a decrease in volume, resulting in the surroundings doing work on the system. This can happen, for example, in a compression process where the system is compressed by an external force.