Calculating Work for Launching a Spacecraft to a Great Distance from Earth

In summary, when the spacecraft is on the ground, potential energy is 0 because it is at the ground. When the spacecraft is in low orbit, potential energy is 0 because h is essentially negligible. When the spacecraft is very far away, potential energy still be 0 because U = -GMem/r. Work depends only on kinetic energy.
solarcat

Homework Statement

Say you're launching a spacecraft of mass m from the surface of the Earth (mass Me and radius re) to a low height h (h is much smaller than r, so h is essentially negligible). How much work is required to move the spaceship from its low orbit to a great distance from earth? Ignore gravitational effects of other planets/moons/stars.

Homework Equations

Work = change in kinetic energy
Fc = mv^2/r
Fg = GmM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

When the spaceship is on the ground, PE=0. When the spaceship is in low orbit, PE=0 because h is essentially negligible. When the spaceship is very far away, my book says that PE will also be 0 (U = -GMem/r). So work depends only on kinetic energy.

I said the work required to get the spacecraft to height h would be GmMe/(2*re^2). This would also be its kinetic energy since kinetic energy on the ground is 0.
To find the change in kinetic energy:
KE when spaceship is in low orbit = GmMe/(2*re^2)
KE when spaceship is a great distance away from earth:
m*v^2/(re+d) = GmMe/(re+d)^2 (d=distance from earth)
Cancel m: v^2/(re+d) = GMe/(re+d)^2
v^2 = GMe/(re+d)
d is very large, so re+d approaches infinity, so v is zero. final kinetic energy = 0
Work = change in kinetic energy = - GmMe/(2*re^2).

But I don't think this can be correct because the next question essentially states that the energy of the spaceship at low orbit should be midway between the energy on Earth and the energy at a very great distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
solarcat said:
When the spaceship is on the ground, PE=0. When the spaceship is in low orbit, PE=0 because h is essentially negligible. When the spaceship is very far away, my book says that PE will also be 0 (U = -GMem/r).
When you substitute the radius of the Earth into the equation quoted above, do you get a 0?

solarcat said:
I said the work required to get the spacecraft to height h would be GmMe/(2*re^2).
It looks like you compared the force of gravity to centrifugal force in order to obtain the kinetic energy in circular orbit at the surface. Which is a good approach. But you made a mistake. Review your algebra, or show your work step by step, if you can't find the error.

The general approach should be to write down the total mechanical energy (PE+KE) for each of the three cases and then compare them. It should make it easier to see what's going on if you separate the cases clearly (i.e. case 1: PE+KE = ...; case 2: =, and so on).
Remember that, intuitively, it takes energy to get higher or faster, and the solution should reflect that.

This is what I did to find the work required to get the spacecraft to height h:
mv^2 / (re + h) = GmMe/(re+h)^2 (v is velocity at height h)
Cancel m: v^2/(re + h) = GMe/(re+h)^2
Multiply (re+h) by both sides; v^2 = GMe/(re+h)
h is negligible: v^2 = GMe/re
Final KE = 1/2 * m * GMe/re
Also, since h is negligible, the change in potential energy is negligible also. Hmm...

solarcat said:
Final KE = 1/2 * m * GMe/re
This is correct. In the equation you wrote earlier you had the radius squared - which was incorrect.

Go back to potential energy in the first two cases. Why did you write it was 0?

1. How long does it take to launch a spacecraft?

The time it takes to launch a spacecraft varies greatly depending on the type of spacecraft, its destination, and the specific mission objectives. On average, it takes about 6-8 months to prepare and launch a spacecraft to low Earth orbit, while missions to other planets or deep space can take several years.

2. What is the cost of launching a spacecraft?

The cost of launching a spacecraft also varies greatly depending on the mission. On average, it can cost anywhere from $50 million to $500 million to launch a spacecraft. However, missions to other planets or deep space can cost billions of dollars.

3. How do scientists choose the launch site for a spacecraft?

The launch site for a spacecraft is chosen based on a variety of factors, such as the type of spacecraft, its destination, and the weather conditions. The location must also have the necessary infrastructure and facilities to support the launch. Some common launch sites include Kennedy Space Center in Florida, Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, and Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in China.

4. What are the main challenges of launching a spacecraft?

One of the main challenges of launching a spacecraft is ensuring its successful separation from the launch vehicle and achieving the desired trajectory. Another challenge is dealing with the extreme conditions of the launch, such as high acceleration and high temperatures. Additionally, the spacecraft must be designed and tested to withstand the harsh conditions of space, including extreme temperatures, radiation, and microgravity.

5. How do scientists communicate with a spacecraft once it is launched?

Scientists use a variety of methods to communicate with a spacecraft, including radio signals, antennas, and satellites. The spacecraft is equipped with a communication system that allows it to transmit data back to Earth, and scientists use ground stations and tracking systems to receive and interpret this data. In some cases, the spacecraft may also use relay satellites to transmit data back to Earth.