Calculation of alpha particles from 226-Ra decay

In summary, if 1 gram of 226Ra is placed in a vessel and allowed to decay, in 60 days, helium will accumulate by the amount of 5 alpha particles.
geojon
I am trying to solve the following problem for my graduate course in isotope geochemistry. If 1 g of 226Ra is separated from its decay products and then placed in a vessel, how much helium (cm3) will accumulate in the vessel in 60 days?

Here is what I know. The decay series from 226Ra to Lead 206 (the final stable daughter) includes five alpha decays, and these will be the source of He2+ ions. I am assuming secular equilibrium because the half-life of 226Ra is >> 60 days. Ultimately, I know I will have to determine how many alpha particles are created in order to answer the question. However, I am not sure how to get started on the problem and was hoping someone could offer some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how accurate you want to get.

The full-blown solve-the-differential-equations version goes like this.

Ra-226 alpha decays into Rn-224.
Rn-224 alpha decays into Po-218.
Po-218 alpha into Pb-214.
Pb-214 beta decays into Bi-214.
Bi-214 beta decays into Po-214.
Po-214 alpha decays into Pb-210.
Pb-210 alpha decays into Pb-206. And there you can stop.

In each case, the equation you want to solve is like so. You have decays of the particular kind of isotope. You have production from the previous member of the chain.

##\frac{dN_i (t)}{dt} = - \lambda_i N_i(t) + \lambda_p N_p(t) ##

Here ##N_i## is the specific isotope, and ##N_p## is the precursor. You get an equation like that for each isotope except Ra-226 which will not have a precursor, and Pb-206 which you will ignore. And the ##\lambda## comes from the decay equation and the half life for that isotope.

So you get this set of coupled differential equations. And at t=0 you have 1 g of Ra-226 and none of the rest. And you solve them. And you total up all of the cases where something alpha decays, and that adds one He to the total. That would mean you would need to solve this set of differential equations, probably numerically though it is possible to do in closed form. That closed form is fairly gnarly. If you want it, look up Bateman's equations. But consider if you want to do it numerically.

For a graduate homework, it seems reasonable. It will also give you, as a function of time, the concentrations of all of those other things.

Lesser accuracy, and an over estimate, is to simply assume all the daughter products decay right away.

Least accurate of all, and an under estimate, is to ignore the decay products and only do the Ra-226 decay.

I would not set this up as a set of coupled differential equations.

If you have a fast decay, with t << 60 days, you can assume it's immediate. If you have a slow decay, with t >> 60 days, you can assume it doesn't decay at all. That will enormously simplify the problem and will change the final answer by only a fraction of a percent.

DEvens said:
Pb-210 alpha decays into Pb-206. And there you can stop.

OOP's Pb-210 beta decays to Bi-210 But since the decay of Pb-210 is so slow (H.L. = 22 yrs) compared to 60 days you can stop here for practical purposes and only consider the previous alpha decays( as DEvens suggested) of which there are six for each Ra-226 decay. The Bi 210 population will grow at almost a constant rate as Ra-226 decays. But that which is formed will decays about 0.5% over 60 days. So how may Ra-226 decays in 60 days?

1. What is the significance of calculating alpha particles from 226-Ra decay?

The calculation of alpha particles from 226-Ra decay is important because it helps us understand the behavior of radioactive elements and their decay processes. This information can be used in various fields, such as nuclear physics, radiology, and environmental studies.

2. How do you calculate the number of alpha particles emitted from 226-Ra decay?

The number of alpha particles emitted from 226-Ra decay can be calculated using the decay constant of the element, which is a characteristic value for each radioactive isotope. The formula for calculating alpha particles is N = N0e-λt, where N is the number of particles at a given time, N0 is the initial number of particles, λ is the decay constant, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What is the half-life of 226-Ra?

The half-life of 226-Ra is approximately 1600 years. This means that after 1600 years, half of the initial amount of 226-Ra will have decayed into other elements.

4. Can the calculation of alpha particles from 226-Ra decay be used to determine the age of a sample?

Yes, the calculation of alpha particles from 226-Ra decay can be used to determine the age of a sample. By measuring the amount of 226-Ra and its decay products, scientists can calculate the time elapsed since the sample was formed. This method is commonly used in radiometric dating to determine the age of rocks and fossils.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculation of alpha particles from 226-Ra decay?

Yes, there are some limitations to this calculation. One limitation is that it assumes a constant decay rate, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the presence of other radioactive elements in the sample can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Therefore, it is important to consider these factors and use multiple methods for determining the age of a sample.