Nuclear Physics help please (alpha decay of a Po-216 atom)

In summary, the conversation discusses the alpha decay of polonium (Po-216) into lead (Pb-212), with the lead atom and alpha particle moving in opposite directions with different speeds. The masses of the three isotopes involved in the decay are given, and the question of how the momentum and kinetic energy of the polonium atom compare to the total momentum and kinetic energy of the decay products is raised. The use of E=mc^2 is suggested, but there is uncertainty about which mass to use.
Elon Musk
Homework Statement
Can someone help me with the questions with modern physics (nuclear physics). I am studying modern physics right now, and I need help with this homework question.
Here is a link to the question:

[Link to external question/answer website deleted by the Mentors]
Relevant Equations
E = hf
K hf max = - f
h
p
l =
2 E = m
1619830011259.png

1619830062031.png

1619830107151.png
I think that when an atom of polonium (Po-216) is moving slowly enough that it can be considered to be at rest. The Po-216 undergoes alpha decay and becomes lead ( Ph-212 ), via the reaction 깝 Po → Pb + ta. After the decay. the lead atom is moving to the left with speed v. and the alpha particle is moving to the right with speed . The masses of the three isotopes involved in the decay are given below. Mm216 = 216.001915 u Ma 4.002603 Mpm 212 211991898 u ex 17. How do the momentum and kinetic energy of the polonium atom compare with the total momentum and kinetic energy of the decay products?

I think I should use E-mc^2 to use this problem, but I don't know what to use for mass. Is it the change I am mass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elon Musk said:
I don't know what to use for mass. Is it the change I am mass?
Find the total energy before and after, the total being (sum of KEs) + (sum of rest masses)##\times mc^2##.

1. What is alpha decay in nuclear physics?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) is emitted from the nucleus of an atom. This process is also known as alpha particle emission.

2. How does alpha decay occur in a Po-216 atom?

In a Po-216 atom, the nucleus is unstable due to an excess of protons and neutrons. To become more stable, the nucleus emits an alpha particle, which reduces the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus and makes it more stable.

3. What is the half-life of a Po-216 atom undergoing alpha decay?

The half-life of a Po-216 atom undergoing alpha decay is approximately 0.15 seconds. This means that after 0.15 seconds, half of the original amount of Po-216 will have decayed into a more stable element.

4. What are the dangers of alpha decay in nuclear physics?

Alpha decay can be dangerous if a person is exposed to high levels of alpha particles. These particles can damage cells and tissues, potentially leading to health problems such as cancer. However, in most cases, the levels of alpha particles emitted from radioactive materials are too low to cause harm.

5. How is alpha decay used in nuclear physics?

Alpha decay is used in nuclear physics to study the properties of different elements and to create new elements. It is also used in medical treatments, such as targeted alpha therapy, which uses alpha particles to destroy cancer cells.