Calculation of ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram

In summary: I hope this helps you in your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck!
Safinaz
I'd like to calculate the matrix element amplitude for## b→s l^+l^−## penguin diagram mediated by Z boson or the photon , like :
Untitled.png

These calculations are made of course from many time ago, so if anyone has a good reference for such calculations, because it's my first trail in a penguin loop ?

Any way , I started by taking the gauge boson propagator in Landau gauge , i.e.:
## i\Delta_{\mu\nu} = -i \frac{g_{\mu\nu}-k_\mu k_\nu/k^2}{k^2-M^2_W} ##, I don't know whether here for simplicity i can consider the Feynman gauge where
## i\Delta_{\mu\nu} = -i \frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{k^2-M^2_W} ## like Cheng & Li made in the calculations of ## K^0−\bar{K}^0## mixing ?

As I made the matrix element amplitude equals:

## i \mathcal{M} = \Big(\frac{ig}{2\sqrt{2}}\Big)^2~~ \Big(\frac{ig}{4\cos\theta_W}\Big)^2 [1-\frac{8}{3}\sin^2\theta_W-\gamma_5][-1+4\sin^2\theta_W+\gamma_5] \sum_i~ V^*_{ib}~ V^*_{is}~\int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} ~
\Big( \bar{b}_l~ \gamma_\mu~ (-i \frac{g_{\mu\nu}-(p+k)_\mu (p+k)_\nu/(p+k)^2}{(p+k)^2-M^2_W}) ~\gamma_\nu~ s_l \Big) ~~ \Big( \bar{l}_l~ \gamma_\lambda~ (-i \frac{g_{\lambda\rho}-k_\lambda k_\rho/q^2}{q^2-M^2_Z}) ~ l_l \Big) \gamma_\rho~ \frac{\gamma.k+m_i}{k^2-m_i^2} \frac{\gamma.(k+q)+m_i}{(k+q)^2-m_i^2} ##

where the momentum flow is given by:

ee.png

Till here i think there is some thing wrong because simply

## \bar{b}_l~ \gamma_\mu~ (g_{\mu\nu}-k_\mu k_\nu) ~\gamma_\nu~ s_l
= \bar{b}~ P_R ~\gamma_\mu~ \gamma_\mu P_L~ s
- \bar{b}~ P_R ~\gamma_\mu k_\mu k_\nu ~ \gamma_\nu~ P_L~ s = 0 ##

Any one make like these calculations before ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you in calculating the matrix element amplitude for the ## b→s l^+l^−## penguin diagram mediated by Z boson or the photon.

First, let's address your question about the choice of gauge. In general, the choice of gauge should not affect the final result of the calculation. However, the Feynman gauge is often preferred for its simplicity and convenience. You can certainly use the Feynman gauge for your calculations.

Moving on to the matrix element amplitude, it seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation. The correct expression for the matrix element amplitude should be:

## i \mathcal{M} = \Big(\frac{ig}{2\sqrt{2}}\Big)^2~~ \Big(\frac{ig}{4\cos\theta_W}\Big)^2 [1-\frac{8}{3}\sin^2\theta_W-\gamma_5][-1+4\sin^2\theta_W+\gamma_5] \sum_i~ V^*_{ib}~ V^*_{is}~\int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} ~
\Big( \bar{b}_l~ \gamma_\mu~ (-i \frac{g_{\mu\nu}-k_\mu k_\nu/k^2}{k^2-M^2_W}) ~\gamma_\nu~ s_l \Big) ~~ \Big( \bar{l}_l~ \gamma_\lambda~ (-i \frac{g_{\lambda\rho}-k_\lambda k_\rho/q^2}{q^2-M^2_Z}) ~ l_l \Big) \gamma_\rho~ \frac{\gamma.k+m_i}{k^2-m_i^2} \frac{\gamma.(k+q)+m_i}{(k+q)^2-m_i^2} ##

where the momentum flow is given by:

## b(p) ~\to~ s(q) ~+~ l^+(k) ~+~ l^-(k') ##

In this expression, the first term in the parentheses is the contribution from the W boson propagator, and the second term is from the Z boson propagator. Also, there is a typo in the second term of the momentum flow,

1. How is the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram calculated?

The calculation of the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram involves using the Standard Model of particle physics to determine the amplitude of the process. This requires taking into account various factors such as the quark mixing matrix elements, the coupling constants, and the masses and momenta of the particles involved. The calculation is done using Feynman diagrams and involves intricate mathematical calculations.

2. What is the significance of the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram?

The ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram is significant because it represents a rare decay process in which a bottom quark transforms into a strange quark, emitting a lepton-antilepton pair. This process is important for understanding the behavior of quarks and leptons and for testing the predictions of the Standard Model.

3. What are the challenges in calculating the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram?

One of the main challenges in calculating the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram is dealing with the large number of particles and interactions involved. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational power. Another challenge is taking into account the effects of higher-order corrections, which can significantly affect the final result.

4. How does the calculation of the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model?

The calculation of the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram allows us to test the predictions of the Standard Model and verify its accuracy. Any discrepancies between the calculated and observed results can point towards new physics beyond the Standard Model. Additionally, the calculation can also provide insights into the properties and interactions of quarks and leptons.

5. Can the calculation of the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram be applied to other processes?

Yes, the techniques used in the calculation of the ## b \to s~ l^+l^− ## penguin diagram can be applied to other similar processes involving quarks and leptons. These calculations are essential for understanding the behavior of fundamental particles and predicting the outcomes of various high-energy experiments.