Prove the following commutation relations

In summary: Yours is more elegant and easier to understand.In summary, the conversation discusses a method for proving that the Pauli-Lubanski vector provides the generators for the little group in massive representations. The idea is to consider the vector operators on a subspace with fixed three-momentum and work in the rest frame of the particle. This approach is more elegant and easier to understand compared to the professor's solution.
Hibarikyoya
Homework Statement
I have to prove that:

$$[J^k, J^i] = i \epsilon^{kij} J^j$$

Relevant Equations
where $$J^k = \frac{1}{M} (L^{-1})^k_{\mu} W^{\mu},$$ in which M is a real number (with the meaning of a mass), $L(\vec{P},M)$ is a Lorentz transformation (in particular a boost in the direction identified by the momentum $\vec{P}$). I can also provide the explicit form of this transformation, but I think is not needed for this exercise. $W^{\mu}$ is the Pauli-Lubanski four vector. Moreover k, i and j run from 1 to 3 and they are spatial indices, while the greek indices run from 0 to 3
I tried in this way:
$$[J^k, J^i] = \frac{1}{M^2}\ (L^{-1})^k_{\mu}\ (L^{-1})^i_{\nu}\ [W^{\mu}, W^{\nu}] $$
$$ = \frac{1}{M^2}\ (L^{-1})^k_{\mu}\ (L^{-1})^i_{\nu}\ (-i) \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} W_{\rho} P_{\sigma}.$$
At this point I had no idea how to going on with the calculation. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dealing with
[tex]\mathbf{J}=\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{p}[/tex]
is a primitive way. Do you like to solve the problem in an advanced way ?

Hint: What you are supposed to prove is that the Pauli-Lubanski vector provides the generators (Lie-algebra basis elements) of the little group for the massive representations, where indeed the little group is the SO(3) (represented by representations of the SU(2), i.e., its covering group in QT).

Obviously the idea is to consider the Pauli-Lubanski-vector operators on the subspace of fixed three-momentum ##\vec{P}##. The boost transforms to the rest frame of the particle, where ##P^{\mu}/M=(1,0,0,0)##, and where ##W^{\mu}=(0,\vec{W})##.

In other words: For your prove you can simply work in the restframe of the particle and the three spatial components of ##\vec{W}## wrt. this frame.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
Hint: What you are supposed to prove is that the Pauli-Lubanski vector provides the generators (Lie-algebra basis elements) of the little group for the massive representations, where indeed the little group is the SO(3) (represented by representations of the SU(2), i.e., its covering group in QT).

Obviously the idea is to consider the Pauli-Lubanski-vector operators on the subspace of fixed three-momentum ##\vec{P}##. The boost transforms to the rest frame of the particle, where ##P^{\mu}/M=(1,0,0,0)##, and where ##W^{\mu}=(0,\vec{W})##.

In other words: For your prove you can simply work in the restframe of the particle and the three spatial components of ##\vec{W}## wrt. this frame.
Very nice idea. The professor showed us his solution and it was a mess

What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the operators of two physical quantities in a quantum system. They determine how these operators interact with each other and can be used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in quantum measurements.

Why is it important to prove commutation relations?

Proving commutation relations is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems and make accurate predictions about their outcomes. It also allows us to determine the compatibility of different physical quantities and how they can be measured simultaneously.

What is the process for proving commutation relations?

The process for proving commutation relations involves using mathematical techniques, such as algebra and calculus, to manipulate the operators and equations to show that they satisfy the commutation relation. This often involves using the properties of the operators, such as their commutativity and associativity, to simplify the equations.

What are some common commutation relations?

Some common commutation relations include the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which describes the relationship between the position and momentum operators, and the angular momentum commutator, which describes the relationship between the different components of angular momentum.

What are the implications of proving commutation relations?

Proving commutation relations has many implications in quantum mechanics, including helping us understand the fundamental principles of quantum systems, predicting the outcomes of measurements, and developing new technologies based on quantum phenomena. It also allows us to make connections between seemingly unrelated physical quantities and deepen our understanding of the universe.