Calculation of Cable tension through pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses a real case scenario of a gravitational tensioning system for a cable conveyor. The system includes a series of pulleys and a counterweight that affects the tension in the cable. The individual has provided hand-drawn diagrams and calculations, but it is suggested to also consider the weight of the cable and gather more information about materials and external factors for more accurate calculations. Additionally, experimenting with different conditions can help validate the calculations. Overall, the individual is commended for their understanding of the system and encouraged to seek further advice if needed.
Warren Metz
Hi,

I'm new to PF so this is my first post. I have a real case scenario as my first thread in which I have a gravitational tensioning system that provides tension to a cable conveyor. The tensioning system includes a series of pulleys in a particular reeving arrangement that is fixed on one side of the conveyor and reeves itself back to a counter weight system on the opposing side. I have attached 3 hand drawn diagrams inclusive of varying scenarios and calculations of my attempt to quantify the tension in the cable across 2 different conditions (when the counterweight is moving up and when the counterweight is moving down). I have incorporated a friction value in each individual pulley of 3% (denoted as x=0.03). Please let me know your thoughts and validity of my calculations and theories.

Attachments

• System Tension Calculations rev 1-rotated.pdf
    521.3 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Welcome to PF! It's great to see that you have a real case scenario to discuss. From your diagrams and calculations, it seems like you have a solid understanding of the tensioning system and the effects of the counterweight on the tension in the cable. However, I would recommend incorporating the weight of the cable itself into your calculations, as this can also affect the overall tension in the system.

In addition, it would be helpful to know more about the specific materials and dimensions of the pulleys and cable, as well as any potential external factors such as wind or vibrations, in order to accurately assess the validity of your calculations. It may also be beneficial to run some experiments to test the tension in the cable under different conditions and compare them to your calculated values.

Overall, it seems like you have a good grasp on the concepts involved in this tensioning system. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to reach out for further advice or clarification. Best of luck with your project!

1. How do you calculate the tension in a cable through a pulley system?

To calculate the tension in a cable through a pulley system, you will need to consider the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, and the angle of the cable as it passes over each pulley. You can use the formula T = (W/n) * (1 + 2sinθ), where T is the tension, W is the weight, n is the number of pulleys, and θ is the angle of the cable.

2. What is the purpose of calculating cable tension in a pulley system?

Calculating the cable tension in a pulley system is important for ensuring the system is able to lift the desired weight safely and efficiently. It also helps to determine the appropriate size and strength of the cables and pulleys needed for the system.

3. How does the angle of the cable affect the tension in a pulley system?

The angle of the cable has a significant impact on the tension in a pulley system. As the angle increases, the tension also increases. This is because the weight being lifted is distributed over a longer length of cable, requiring more tension to support it.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of cable tension calculations in a pulley system?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of cable tension calculations in a pulley system. These include friction in the pulleys, the weight of the pulleys themselves, and the rigidity of the cables. It is important to take these factors into account when performing calculations.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating cable tension in a pulley system?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when calculating cable tension in a pulley system. These include ensuring the cables and pulleys are in good condition and able to handle the calculated tension, and double-checking all calculations to avoid overloading the system. It is also important to follow proper lifting techniques and guidelines to prevent accidents.