Force and Torque Calculation and Observation

In summary: You may want to consider using a bowstring tensioner on the motor to keep the wire tight.This is a summary of the content. In summary, the bookcase does not move as expected. The difference may be caused by the static friction between the rolling wheel and the floor, or the difference in the weight of the books. A motor with 672 oz-in of torque is needed to move the bookcase.
DPress
Something does not make sense. I have built a large bookcase on rolling wheels (on a concrete floor). I have connected it to wire rope and pulleys as shown in "Pulley Question.jpg". I always keep a 10 lb weight on each side so the lines do not go slack and fall off the pulleys.

I need to add an additional 42lbs to one side or another to get it to move.

Alternatively if I push the bookcase with a scale, the scale reads about 20lbs. (now with 10 lb weights on both upper wire ropes).

The only explanation I can think of is that the difference is caused by the delta between rolling and static friction that I am simply not seeing on the scale as I push it? But I thought there was none with the wheels under the bookcase? Could I have that much static friction in my pulley system?

Assuming I have not made some gross error in my thinking, does this imply that I would need a motor capable of suppying 672 oz-in of torque (42 * 16) of torque, as shown in "Pulley Question2.jpg"? Note I will be using a 1" radius chain sprocket on the motor.

Finally, I would like to do this with a stepper motor so I can accelerate and decellerate smoothly. I think I will need a geared motor to get the Torque I need at the fairly low top speed required of 30 inches per second**

Thank you for your time in looking at this.** I want the bookcase to move 45 inches in 3 seconds for an average speed of 15 inches per second. So assuming constant acceleration and deceleration I would need a top speed of 30 inches per second - right?

Pulley Question.jpg
Pulley Question2.jpg

Attachments

• Pulley Question.jpg
    Pulley Question.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 508
  • Pulley Question2.jpg
    Pulley Question2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 400
Engineering news on Phys.org
How heavy is your bookcase fully loaded with books? What type of wheels? Do the pulleys have plain or ball bearings? What are the pulley diameters? The wheel diameters? All pulleys add friction, and so do wheels. The top cable and pulleys are not needed to move the bookcase, but add friction. Can you put the motor down low so that the system only has two pulleys? Larger diameter wheels and pulleys have less friction. Harder wheels have less friction.

Your calculation for constant acceleration is correct. At your low speed, you may be better off to use a trapezoidal velocity profile, where you accelerate to a speed, run at constant speed, then decelerate to a stop. That gives you a lower top speed, which allows a larger gear reduction. Gear the motor so that it runs at or near its top speed. Size the motor / reducer to meet your worst case torque (starting plus acceleration) with about a 2:1 safety factor.

In addition to the above what is the type and diameter of the wire rope?
Edit: Also what is the style of grooves in or pulleys i.e. "V' or "U"?

Sounds like much of the force from the motor is used to bend the wire ropes around the pulleys.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is force and torque?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or deform. Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of the turning force on an object.

2. How do you calculate force and torque?

Force is calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration (F=ma). Torque is calculated by multiplying force by the distance from the pivot point (T=F*d).

3. What are some real-life applications of force and torque?

Force and torque are used in many everyday objects and activities, such as opening a door, driving a car, and throwing a ball. They are also essential in industrial machinery and robotics.

4. How do you observe force and torque in an experiment?

Force can be observed by using a force sensor or by measuring the change in an object's motion. Torque can be observed by using a torque sensor or by measuring the change in an object's rotational motion.

5. What are some factors that can affect force and torque calculations?

The mass, acceleration, distance, and direction of the force can all affect the calculation of force and torque. Friction and air resistance can also impact the accuracy of the calculations.