Calculation of Curie Constant for Iron in Metallic Form

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Curie constant for iron, using its Curie temperature of 1043 Kelvin and assuming a magnetic moment of 2 Bohr magneton per atom. The calculation involves the use of the Boltzmann constant, permeability of free space, and number of atoms per unit volume in a body centered cube lattice. The calculated value is 0.89, however the answer given in the book is 0.66, leading to questioning and speculation on the accuracy of the assumptions used.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

As none are responding to my query posted in Introductory Physics section, I am posting it here. Someone please guide me!
1)The curie temperature of iron is 1043 Kelvin. Assume that iron atoms, when in metallic form have moments of 2 Bohr magneton per atom. Iron is body centered cube with lattice parameter a = 0.286 nm. Calculate the curie constant.

Homework Equations

C = [(m^2)(mu)N]/[3K]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it in the following way:
Let m be the magnetic moment of an iron atom, N be the number of atoms per unit volume, K be the Boltzmann constant, mu be the permeability of free space and C be the Curie constant.
m = 2[m(B)] {where m(B) is Bohr magneton}
= 18.54 x 10^(-24) A-m^2
N = n/(a^3) {where n is number of atoms in 1 cubic lattice of iron}
= 2/[(0.286 x 10^(-9))^3]
= 8.5 x 10^28 atoms per unit volume
C = [(m^2)(mu)N]/[3K]
C = 0.89
But the answer given in my book is 0.66.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the difference is related to the phrase "body centered cube". Are you sure there are 2 atoms per lattice cube? I'd check around under subjects like "atomic packing factor" to make sure.

On second thought the 2 seems ok. Hmm. I'm no expert in this field.

What on Earth is preventing you all from answering?

Related to Calculation of Curie Constant for Iron in Metallic Form

1. What is the Curie constant?

The Curie constant is a measure of the magnetic susceptibility of a material. It is named after the physicist Pierre Curie and is denoted by the symbol C.

2. How is the Curie constant calculated?

The Curie constant is calculated by dividing the magnetic moment of a material by its temperature and the product of the magnetic field strength and the Boltzmann constant. It can also be calculated by taking the limit of the magnetic susceptibility as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

3. What is the significance of the Curie constant in materials science?

The Curie constant is an important parameter in materials science as it helps to determine the magnetic properties of a material. It is used to classify materials as ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, or diamagnetic based on their magnetic susceptibility.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Curie constant?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Curie constant. It is only applicable to materials that follow Curie's law, which states that the magnetic susceptibility is inversely proportional to the temperature. This may not hold true for all materials, especially at very low or very high temperatures.

5. How is the Curie constant used in practical applications?

The Curie constant is used in practical applications such as the design and development of magnetic materials for various industries, including electronics, medicine, and energy. It is also used in the field of geophysics to study the magnetic properties of rocks and minerals.