Magnetic field Hamiltonian in different basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the qubit representation of a spin-1/2 electron in a magnetic field, and how to express the Hamiltonian in terms of the eigenstates of the Pauli matrices. The correct expression for the qubit Hamiltonian in this basis is given, and the incorrect attempt at finding it using the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## is also mentioned.
IanBerkman

Homework Statement

A spin-1/2 electron in a magnetic field can be regarded as a qubit with Hamiltonian
$$\hat{H} = \frac{1}{2}g\mu_B\textbf{B}\cdot\boldsymbol\sigma$$. This matrix can be written in the form of a qubit matrix
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{2}\epsilon & t\\
t^* & -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon
\end{pmatrix}$$
Where it fulfils the eigenvalue equation ##\hat{H}|\psi\rangle = E|\psi\rangle## in the basis of ##|1\rangle## and ##|0\rangle##.
Let us choose ##|0\rangle## and ##|1\rangle## to be the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## with eigenvalues ##\pm 1## and find ##\epsilon## and ##t## in terms of ##\textbf{B}## if we write the Hamiltonian in this basis.

Homework Equations

The eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## are
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1\\1 \end{pmatrix}, \quad \text{and} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1\\-1 \end{pmatrix}$$
with eigenvalues 1 and -1 respectively.

The qubit Hamiltonian can be written as
$$
\hat{H} = \frac{\epsilon}{2}\{|1\rangle\langle1|-|0\rangle\langle0|\} + t|1\rangle\langle0|+t^*|0\rangle\langle1|$$

And the magnetic field Hamiltonian can be written as $$
\hat{H} = \frac{1}{2}g\mu_B\begin{pmatrix}B_z & B_x-iB_y\\
B_x+iB_y & -B_z\end{pmatrix}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually do not see the connection how to write this in the basis spanned by the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x##. The solution for eigenvalues ##E## and eigenstates of the qubit Hamiltonian are given later in the book and I thought about using these, but I do not think they are necessary since these are explained after this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To express the Hamiltonian in matrix form, you have to first choose a basis. The matrix you wrote down (in terms of B) is written with respect to the basis consisting of eigenstates of ##\sigma_z##. The problem seems to be asking you to express ##\hat H## in terms of the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## instead, and then compare it to the qubit matrix and identify the corresponding values of ##\varepsilon## and ##t##.

Yes I see. Can someone verify if the following is correct?

I use ##\langle x |\hat{H}| z\rangle## where ##x## and ##z## denote the eigenstates of the corresponding Pauli matrices.
This can be written as ##T_x^\dagger \hat{H}T_z## (I think this is wrong but I do not see why).
Where ##T_x## is the matrix given by the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x##:
$$T_x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
1 & -1\end{pmatrix}$$

From this we get:
$$
\hat{H}_x = \frac{g \mu_B}{2\sqrt{2}}
\begin{pmatrix}
B_x+B_z+iB_y & B_x-B_z-iB_y\\
-B_x+B_z-iB_y & B_x+B_z-iB_y
\end{pmatrix}$$
Which I think is not correct since this Hamiltonian is not Hermitian.

IanBerkman said:
Yes I see. Can someone verify if the following is correct?

I use ##\langle x |\hat{H}| z\rangle## where ##x## and ##z## denote the eigenstates of the corresponding Pauli matrices.
What's your reasoning for doing this?

I see, I thought completely wrong and was confused about notations. I found the answer in another thread, thank you.

What is a magnetic field Hamiltonian?

A magnetic field Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the energy associated with the interaction between a magnetic field and a physical system, such as a particle or an atom.

What are the different bases used in the magnetic field Hamiltonian?

The most commonly used bases in the magnetic field Hamiltonian are the position basis, momentum basis, and spin basis. These bases represent different physical quantities, such as position, momentum, and spin, respectively.

How does the magnetic field Hamiltonian change in different bases?

The magnetic field Hamiltonian changes in different bases because the physical quantities represented by each basis have different mathematical representations. This results in a different form of the Hamiltonian equation for each basis.

What is the significance of the magnetic field Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The magnetic field Hamiltonian plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it describes the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. It helps to predict the energy levels and transitions of particles, making it an essential tool in understanding quantum systems.

How is the magnetic field Hamiltonian calculated?

The magnetic field Hamiltonian is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of quantum systems. The specific form of the equation depends on the basis used, and the magnetic field is incorporated as a potential energy term in the equation.