Calculation of the Natural Linewidth

In summary, the determination of natural linewidth involves taking into account the finite lifetimes of both the initial and final states. The energy of the transition alone is not enough to calculate the natural linewidth, as it only gives the center of the peak. The formula used to calculate the natural linewidth may differ slightly, but the general concept remains the same.
blaisem
Hi, I am trying to understand how one determines the natural linewidth. On my assignment, I am only given an energy (589.1 nm transition in sodium). I have two sources that I have found that seem to contradict each other:

Source 1: Slides 5 and 6

Source 2: Hyperphysics

If I plug in either the lifetime or the energy value provided in the example from the powerpoint (slide 6) into the Hyperphysics calculator, the corresponding value isn't consistent with slide 6.

I am confused on which is the correct formula, as well as how one determines the natural linewidth without knowing the lifetime of a transition. Is the energy of the transition actually relevant?

Can anyone please advise? Thank you for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
blaisem said:
If I plug in either the lifetime or the energy value provided in the example from the powerpoint (slide 6) into the Hyperphysics calculator, the corresponding value isn't consistent with slide 6.
I didn't check the calculations in detail, but in the slides, both the initial and final states are considered to have finite lifetimes. This may be the source of the discrepancy.

blaisem said:
how one determines the natural linewidth without knowing the lifetime of a transition.
They are usually measured from spectra.

If you need the numbers for sodium, check http://steck.us/alkalidata/.

Hi DrClaude. Thanks for your response and the link. Maybe it was implied I had to look up the lifetime. 3 questions, if you have time, since I am having trouble wrapping my head around it conceptually:

1.Hyperphysics provides a relationship of:

2E = Gamma = (reduced plank constant / lifetime)​

where Gamma is the width of the natural broadening

If I substitute the given transition energy of 589.1 nm into E, I get a gamma of 4.2 eV; if I use the lifetime from your source (16.2 ns), I get a gamma of 41 nano Ev.

I am confused about the role of the energy of the transition in natural broadening. Am I substituting the wrong value for energy into the Hyperphysics formula?

2. What would be the correct value of E? Would it be the absolute energy uncertainty of the initial state, and the transition energy I have is entirely irrelevant to determining the natural linewidth?

3. Is the formula in the powerpoint (first link) more precise than Hyperphysics? It seems to be a more complicated representation of natural broadening, implying that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle as it was presented in Hyperphysics may be a more superficial description of natural broadening. Is my understanding of this correct?

Thanks a lot for your advise!

Last edited:
blaisem said:
If I substitute the given transition energy of 589.1 nm into E, I get a gamma of 4.2 eV; if I use the lifetime from your source (16.2 ns), I get a gamma of 41 nano Ev.

I am confused about the role of the energy of the transition in natural broadening. Am I substituting the wrong value for energy into the Hyperphysics formula?
Yes. In the formula, it is ##\Delta E##, the uncertainty on the energy, not the energy of the transition.

blaisem said:
2. What would be the correct value of E? Would it be the absolute energy uncertainty of the initial state, and the transition energy I have is entirely irrelevant to determining the natural linewidth?
If both the initial and final states have finite lifetimes, then both widths must be taken into account (as described in the slides). You have an uncertainty in both the energy of the upper state and the lower state. But the actual value of the center of the peak (the energy "before" taking into account the uncertainty) is not relevant.

blaisem said:
3. Is the formula in the powerpoint (first link) more precise than Hyperphysics? It seems to be a more complicated representation of natural broadening, implying that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle as it was presented in Hyperphysics may be a more superficial description of natural broadening. Is my understanding of this correct?
Apart from the fact that it takes into account the uncertainty of the energy of the final state, I do not see any difference between the two approaches. The Hyperphysics formulation might be simplified because most of the time the final state is the ground state, which has no uncertainty.

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculation of the Natural Linewidth

1. What is the natural linewidth?

The natural linewidth is a measure of the intrinsic width of a spectral line, which is caused by the lifetime of the excited state of an atom or molecule. It is also known as the homogeneous linewidth.

2. How is the natural linewidth calculated?

The natural linewidth can be calculated using the formula Δν = 1/2π τ, where ν is the energy difference between the upper and lower energy levels of the atom or molecule, and τ is the lifetime of the excited state.

3. What factors affect the natural linewidth?

The natural linewidth is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and collisions with other particles. These factors can cause broadening or narrowing of the spectral line.

4. Can the natural linewidth be observed experimentally?

Yes, the natural linewidth can be observed experimentally using spectroscopy techniques. However, it is often difficult to isolate the natural linewidth from other broadening effects.

5. Why is the calculation of natural linewidth important?

The calculation of natural linewidth is important because it provides valuable information about the properties of atoms and molecules, such as their energy levels and lifetimes. This information is crucial in many areas of physics, chemistry, and engineering, including the development of lasers and precision measurements.