Calculation of Velocity and Shear rate in rectangular channel

In summary, the individual would like to know the formulas for calculating velocity and shear rate in a rectangular fluid channel. They provide the important values for the channel and mention that the fluid is a diluted bacterial suspension derived from wastewater. They request assistance with the calculations and ask if the formulas they found on Google are correct. The expert advises that the first formula is correct but not the second and suggests referring to a specific research paper for calculating the average wall shear rate in a rectangular duct.
Arslan Siddique
Hi everyone, I would like to know the formula for calculation of velocity and shear rate in my rectangular fluid channel.

Here are the important values regarding my rectangular channel. W= 2.5 mm, H=3 mm, L=35 mm.
Fluid: Diluted Bacterial suspension derived from wastewater.
Flow rate: 0.125 ml/min

Please help me with the calculation of above mentioned parameters.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far. You do realize that the shear rate at the wall varies around the perimeter of the channel, right?

Thanks for your reply!

I do understand that shear rate and velocity varies along the perimeter of the channel and it is also location dependent but I would like to assume that it doesn't vary to get an average value of velocity and shear rate.

Can I use the following Formulas for Velocity and shear rate?

V= Q/W*H
Where, V= Velocity, Q= Flow rate, W= Width and H= Height

Y= 8V/D
Where, Y= Shear rate, V= Velocity and D= Diagonal of the rectangular channel

PS: I am doing a simple calculation and don't want to dig deeper into it. I found the above mentioned formulas from google. Do you think that these formulas are correct considering my simple problem?

Arslan Siddique said:
Thanks for your reply!

I do understand that shear rate and velocity varies along the perimeter of the channel and it is also location dependent but I would like to assume that it doesn't vary to get an average value of velocity and shear rate.

Can I use the following Formulas for Velocity and shear rate?

V= Q/W*H
Where, V= Velocity, Q= Flow rate, W= Width and H= Height

Y= 8V/D
Where, Y= Shear rate, V= Velocity and D= Diagonal of the rectangular channel

PS: I am doing a simple calculation and don't want to dig deeper into it. I found the above mentioned formulas from google. Do you think that these formulas are correct considering my simple problem?
You can use the first formula, but not the second. To calculate the average wall shear rate for laminar flow in a duct of odd-ball cross section (including a rectangular duct), see the following reference:
Miller, C., Predicting Non-Newtonian Flow Behavior in ducts of Unusual Cross Section, I&EC Fundamentals, 11, 524-528 (1972)

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity in a rectangular channel?

The formula for calculating velocity in a rectangular channel is V = Q / (W x D), where V is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, W is the width of the channel, and D is the depth of the channel. This formula assumes uniform flow and neglects the effects of boundary roughness.

2. Can the velocity in a rectangular channel be varied?

Yes, the velocity in a rectangular channel can be varied by changing the flow rate or adjusting the dimensions of the channel. However, the velocity must always be within a certain range to maintain a stable flow and avoid turbulence.

3. How is shear rate calculated in a rectangular channel?

Shear rate in a rectangular channel is calculated using the formula Ƭ = V x (W / 2), where Ƭ is the shear rate, V is the velocity, and W is the width of the channel. Shear rate is a measure of the rate at which adjacent layers of fluid move past each other and is important in determining the flow behavior of a fluid.

4. What is the significance of calculating velocity and shear rate in a rectangular channel?

Calculating velocity and shear rate in a rectangular channel is important for analyzing the flow behavior of a fluid and determining the effects of channel dimensions and flow rate on the fluid. This information can also be used in the design and optimization of industrial processes and equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculation of velocity and shear rate in a rectangular channel?

Yes, there are some limitations to the calculation of velocity and shear rate in a rectangular channel. The formulas assume ideal conditions and neglect factors such as boundary roughness and non-uniform flow. Additionally, the calculations may not be accurate for highly viscous or non-Newtonian fluids.