Calculations for a capacitor charging from another capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the voltages in a sample-and-hold circuit for an ADC. The circuit has a switch that charges the hold capacitor with the sample voltage and then isolates it during conversion. The initial conditions and circuit equations are shown, but the differentials make it difficult to solve. The values and relationships between components are given, and Laplace Transforms are suggested for solving the circuit. The conversation also discusses using matrix methods to solve the system of equations and provides resources for further reading.
cjs94
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi all,

I'd appreciate help in calculating the voltages in the circuit shown. I thought it should be fairly straight forward, but it has me stumped. This is a sample-and-hold circuit for an ADC -- the switch is closed to charge the hold capacitor with the sample voltage and then opened to isolate during conversion. I'm trying to model the charging profile of the hold capacitor when the switch is closed.

I've shown the initial conditions as well as the basic circuit equations, but I can't figure out how to actually solve it, mainly I think because the differentials are sort of co-dependent.

Note 27 Jun 2018.png

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Attachments

• Note 27 Jun 2018.png
    Note 27 Jun 2018.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 603
Physics news on Phys.org
Are actual component values given, or perhaps some relationships between them? For example, if the time constant of the left hand side RC pair is much greater than that of the right hand side pair, you can make certain simplifying approximations...

gneill said:
Are actual component values given, or perhaps some relationships between them? For example, if the time constant of the left hand side RC pair is much greater than that of the right hand side pair, you can make certain simplifying approximations...

Sure. The right-hand side is the input stage of a PIC18, so CH = 10pF and RH is about 8.5k (for Vcc = 3.3V). The left-hand side, Vs = 2.11V and RS = 825k -- the actual circuit is a 4.7M/1M divider from 12V, I just simplified it to a Thevenin equivalent. Ca = 100nF. So, l.h.s. RC >> r.h.s. RC.

My reason for the calculation is that the maximum recommended source impedance is 10k. Without Ca the source impedance is obviously much greater than that, however I realize that I have no idea how to think about the effect of Ca on that impedance in response to an impulse event (which is effectively what happens when the switch is closed). My intuition (right or wrong) tells me that CH will see a very low impedance by virtue of Ca, until the charge on both capacitors has equalised, then the impedance should rise substantially as both capacitors continue to charge from Vs. I'm looking for a formal way to characterise that.

While I have actual values, I would like to know how to approach this from first principles, since it is something that I thought I understood and should be able to do. I was wrong.

Regards,
Chris

Okay, looks like you've got a handle on how the circuit will behave overall.

As to a formal approach, my suggestion would be to employ Laplace Transforms and solve the circuit in the s-domain via the usual KVL and KCL methods (nodal or mesh analysis).

You should be able to confirm your results using a simulator such as LTSpice.

One of the complications of this circuit when is it requires you to set up and solve a second order differentiation equation.

At first I think is-ia-ih=0 [if Va potential is more than Ca potential].
Second dVa(t)/dt>>s*Va(s)-Va(0)[=Vs] and dVh/dt>>s*Vh(s) [Vh(0)=0].
From is-ia-ih=0 and is*Rs+ih*Rh+∫ih.dt/Ch=Vs you'll get something like:
Vh(s)=(As^2+B*s+C)/(D*s^3+E*s^2+F*s+G)
It's a lot to calculate that's all.

Babadag said:
At first I think is-ia-ih=0 [if Va potential is more than Ca potential].

Va is always equal to Vc

Babadag said:
Second dVa(t)/dt>>s*Va(s)-Va(0)[=Vs] and dVh/dt>>s*Vh(s) [Vh(0)=0].

Your notation makes no sense to me, what is s? are you doing something with Laplace transforms?

If Va=Vc no current will flow to Ca. The symbol “>>” it means " the Laplace transform is"

You can start from the idea Vh = 0 for t = 0 and Vh = Vs for t = [infinite] and it is constantly increasing. Then Vh=Vs[1-e^(-t/k)]. ih=dVh/dt/Ch and ih*Rh+Vh=Va

cjs94 said:
While I have actual values, I would like to know how to approach this from first principles, since it is something that I thought I understood and should be able to do. I was wrong.
You can combine the equations you have to get
\begin{align*}
\frac{dV_\text{H}}{dt} &= \frac{1}{R_\text{H}C_\text{H}}(V_\text{a}-V_\text{H}) \\
\frac{dV_\text{a}}{dt} &= \left(\frac {1}{R_\text{H}C_\text{a}}+\frac{1}{R_\text{s}C_\text{a}}\right)V_\text{a} - \frac{1}{R_\text{H}C_\text{a}}V_\text{H} - \frac{1}{R_\text{s}C_\text{a}}V_\text{s}
\end{align*} (or something similar if I made algebra or sign mistakes). You can solve this system using matrix methods.

If you're not familiar with that method, you could solve the first equation for ##V_\text{a}## and then plug the result into the second equation to get a second-order differential equation for ##V_\text{H}##.

Likes Babadag
Thanks for all the replies. I have some reading to do!

1. What is the formula for calculating the charge on a capacitor?

The formula for calculating the charge on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the voltage in volts.

3. What is the equation for calculating the voltage across a capacitor?

The equation for calculating the voltage across a capacitor is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage in volts, Q is the charge in coulombs, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. How do you calculate the time constant for a capacitor charging from another capacitor?

The time constant for a capacitor charging from another capacitor can be calculated using the formula τ = RC, where τ is the time constant in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel connections for capacitors in terms of calculations?

In series connections, the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. In parallel connections, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. Therefore, different formulas and calculations are used for each type of connection.