Calculator or not? (from the TV show Numb3rs)

• Thread starter James Willis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation revolves around a mathematical artifact seen in the TV show Numb3rs. The artifact is described as having a wooden base and half-round wires with beads on each half round. There is speculation that it may be a calculator or toy, but it is later identified as a Himalayan calendar device. The conversation includes a link to a photo of the artifact and instructions on how to use it.
James Willis
Greetings everyone,
I thought this would be the place to pose this question. In the TV show Numb3rs Charlie plays with something I am not familiar with.
Wooden base
4-5 wire half rounds with beads on each half round.
Anyone know what this is? A calculator or toy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Some abacus variation? Can you post a picture? You can probably use a Google Images search to find a picture to link to...

Beadball_render.jpg

Here’s a Bathsheba bead toy.

Not sure if this what you saw.

Attachments

• Beadball_render.jpg
    Beadball_render.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 843
Last edited:
James Willis said:
Wooden base
jedishrfu said:
View attachment 236321

Here’s a Bathsheba bead toy.

Not sure if this what you saw.
@jedishrfu I don't think so. The OP said it has a wooden base.

Young physicist said:
@jedishrfu I don't think so. The OP said it has a wooden base.

Ahh okay. There’s a kids toy that has loops with beads on them. I just need to see a photo I guess to figure it out. I know mathematicians like to have interesting math artifacts on their desk and in their office at least the ones in my college did.

Maybe something like this

a-wooden-bead-maze-childrens-educational-toy-cx7k1c.jpg

Attachments

• a-wooden-bead-maze-childrens-educational-toy-cx7k1c.jpg
    a-wooden-bead-maze-childrens-educational-toy-cx7k1c.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 571
Likes Klystron
Here’s some models I’ve seen at our school

https://muse.union.edu/mathematics/about/olivier-models/

olivier1868_38.jpg

Attachments

• olivier1868_38.jpg
    olivier1868_38.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 521
Likes berkeman
In any event, it has to be a toy since Charlie leaves all the computing to his graduate assistant in each episode.

OP: Try Googling for scenes of the show. There are whole Pinterest accounts dedicated to it.
You might get lucky and find the contraption in a scene.

Likes jedishrfu
Abacus.jpg

Attachments

• Abacus.jpg
    Abacus.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 767
Likes YoungPhysicist

Attachments

• abacus.jpg
    abacus.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 464
DaveC426913 said:
That's weird.
I don't think that's an easter egg. It might just be a random configuration before taking the scene.

Young physicist said:
I don't think that's an easter egg. It might just be a random configuration before taking the scene.
Thing is, it was built that way.
There are 12 dark balls.
Then 3 light ones.

And here is how to use it.

Instructions: This calendar is designed for a “month, day, year” date sequence
and will not work for a “day, month, year” sequence. The date is revealed on the
left hand side. The outer ring shows the month (i.e. in January, the first month,
just one bead would sit at the left hand side of the outer ring; in December, all
12 beads would sit there). The next 2 rings reveal the day of the month (e.g. 03,
19, 31). The four final rings indicate the year (e.g. 1986, 2004). For July 19,
2004, the number of beads in sequence working from the outer ring would be
7,1,9,2,0,0,4. The beads on the right hand side await use at a later date.

from: http://resources.tenthousandvillages.ca/cdn/factsheets/English/20/TTV5900820-4ABB5AB6.pdf

Cheers,
Tom

Likes YoungPhysicist
jedishrfu said:
Maybe it’s a date/time device the 12 beads for the month, the three beads for the tens digit of the day in the month... and then four digits for the year.

BINGO: it’s a Himalayan calendar device

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/handmade-himalayan-calendar-fair-136592242
Tom.G said:
And here is how to use it.

Instructions: This calendar is designed for a “month, day, year” date sequence
and will not work for a “day, month, year” sequence. The date is revealed on the
left hand side. The outer ring shows the month (i.e. in January, the first month,
just one bead would sit at the left hand side of the outer ring; in December, all
12 beads would sit there). The next 2 rings reveal the day of the month (e.g. 03,
19, 31). The four final rings indicate the year (e.g. 1986, 2004). For July 19,
2004, the number of beads in sequence working from the outer ring would be
7,1,9,2,0,0,4. The beads on the right hand side await use at a later date.

from: http://resources.tenthousandvillages.ca/cdn/factsheets/English/20/TTV5900820-4ABB5AB6.pdf

Cheers,
Tom
Oh!I got it! My post #14 now seems ridiculous.:eek::smile:

Never seen one of those, I thought building one would make a nice home-shop project. Then I started thinking about the beads and how many of them I would never need to touch, once set. Maybe that's the point of this device: 12-31-9999 is a looonng way off.

gmax137 said:
12-31-9999 is a looonng way off.
Sure it is. That's exactly what we said about the year 2000, and now we have planes falling out of the sky.

I'm not going to get caught with my pants down again. I've been writing the date as five digits ever since 02002.

(I'm invoking Poe's Law.)

Likes gmax137
Awesome find, I thought it might be a calendar. Thanks for your help!

Likes jedishrfu

1. Is the "Calculator or not?" concept based on real science?

Yes, the "Calculator or not?" concept is based on real science. The show Numb3rs is heavily influenced by real-life mathematician and mathematician consultant on the show, Dr. Gary Lorden. The concept of using math and algorithms to solve crimes is based on real-world applications of math in fields such as criminology and data analysis.

2. How accurate are the calculations and methods used in "Calculator or not?"

The calculations and methods used in "Calculator or not?" are generally accurate and based on real mathematical principles. However, as with any TV show, there may be some dramatization and simplification for entertainment purposes.

3. Can anyone become a "Calculator" like the characters on the show?

While anyone can learn math and apply it to various fields, becoming a "Calculator" like the characters on the show requires a high level of mathematical proficiency and knowledge. It also requires a strong understanding of how math can be applied to real-world problems.

4. Are there any real-life examples of "Calculator-like" individuals?

Yes, there are real-life individuals who can be considered "Calculators" due to their high level of mathematical ability and application in various fields. For example, John Nash, the inspiration behind the character of Charlie Eppes on Numb3rs, was a renowned mathematician who made significant contributions to game theory and economics.

5. How has the show "Numb3rs" impacted the perception of math and science in popular culture?

The show "Numb3rs" has had a positive impact on the perception of math and science in popular culture. It has shown that math can be exciting, relevant, and applicable to real-world problems. It has also highlighted the importance of collaboration between mathematicians and other professionals in solving complex problems.