Calculator (root) problem (Exam tomorrow) HP 10s assistance

In summary, the square root symbol does not allow for continual calculation when using the HP 10s calculator. The user tried various methods to solve the problem, but all failed.
MrAAK

Homework Statement

Hello, I have to use the HP 10s calculator at my university, I have been used to my modern casio for the last 4 years but I have a problem.
The square root symbol when pressed does not allow for continual calculation, such as when I am using the quadratic formula.
It seems to only take the square root of the first in-putted integer then does not continue the radical.
(Such as like on any Casio fx, you would press the right cursor to get out of the root and end your radicand).
On this thing, it just takes the root of the first number!
How do I keep the radical going for continual calculation??
Exam tomorrow, panic mode has started!

Homework Equations

[/B]
For this example, I was trying to use b^2-4ac under the radical, where a=1, b=4, c=-21

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have attempted nested parenthesis, parenthesis raised to the power of 1/2.
I have included two images that might show you what I mean.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• Radicand issue.png
    Radicand issue.png
    129 KB · Views: 1,036
  • parenthesis raised to a division.png
    parenthesis raised to a division.png
    96 KB · Views: 757
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumQuest said:
You can always go from inside to outside. So, for instance you can form the expression for the discriminator and then take the square root. For more info take a look in the manual of hp 10s http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01768863.pdf at "Continuous calculation".
Hi Quantum, thanks for your reply, I have the manual here with me, I tried that.
I pressed root 4^2= ANS popped up then I tried the rest.
Math error.
Can't square negative numbers.

According to the first image you've provided, you're trying to find a discriminator. Why not taking 42 - 4*1*(-21) and then take the square root?

QuantumQuest said:
According to the first image you've provided, you're trying to find a discriminator. Why not taking 42 - 4*1*(-21) and then take the square root?
Mainly for reasons of long winded decimal points, I would have to use just 3 decimals in order to maintain my time frame.
(Also accuracy).
It's easy with 100 under the radical, for an answer I should be getting of 10. But when I am in the exam, its going to be 4.798687692 etc...

MrAAK said:
Can't square negative numbers.
Sure you can, but you can't take the square root of a negative number.

If you are going to take the square root by raising to the 1/2 power, try putting the power of 1/2 in parentheses: (...)^(1##\div##2)

To use the √ key: After √ put the entire expression that you want to take the square root of in parentheses ##\sqrt(...)##

Mark44 said:
Yeah, I know, for complex numbers etc, but this is just a simple bedmas operation under the radical.
It won't accept more than the first digit under the radical. (so if its a negative X negative etc, its no use).

TSny said:
If you are going to take the square root by raising to the 1/2 power, try putting the power of 1/2 in parentheses: (...)^(1##\div##2)

To use the √ key: After √ put the entire expression that you want to take the square root of in parentheses ##\sqrt(...)##
Thats an idea, ill give that a go, two secs.

TSny said:

You sir, have saved me a sleepless night. I'm smoking this one for you(The manual)! I have been panicking for about 3 hours, I tried nested before and it didnt work? Bizarre!
Thanks! (I emailed my Professor at 11pm, probably shouldn't have done that), oh well...exam stress etc.
Thanks guys!

Mark44 said:

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant to say.

I think I 70%'d the maths and today, if I left that physics exam with less than 90%, I would not be amused.
Well, as long as its above 70% I am happy. Thank you al for your help. It was invaluable!

1. What is the "Calculator (root) problem"?

The "Calculator (root) problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the square root or any other root of a given number using a scientific calculator. It is a common problem in mathematics and can be solved using various methods and techniques.

2. What is the HP 10s calculator and how can it assist with the root problem?

The HP 10s is a scientific calculator that is specifically designed to solve complex mathematical problems, including finding roots. It has various functions and features, such as the square root function, that make it easier to solve root problems. Additionally, it can handle larger numbers and provide more precise answers compared to manual calculations.

3. How can I use the HP 10s calculator to find the square root of a number?

To find the square root of a number on the HP 10s calculator, you can use the square root function, which is denoted by the √ symbol. Simply input the number you want to find the square root of, then press the √ button followed by the equals (=) button. The calculator will then display the square root of the number.

4. What is the best way to prepare for solving root problems using the HP 10s calculator for an exam?

The best way to prepare for solving root problems using the HP 10s calculator for an exam is to practice using the calculator beforehand. Familiarize yourself with its functions and features, and practice solving different types of root problems. This will help you become more efficient and confident in using the calculator during the exam.

5. Are there any tips for using the HP 10s calculator to solve root problems more quickly?

Yes, there are a few tricks that can help you solve root problems more quickly using the HP 10s calculator. One tip is to use the square root function multiple times to find higher roots, such as the cube root or fourth root. Another tip is to use the inverse function (1/x) to find the reciprocal of a number and then use the square root function to find the root of that number. This can be useful for finding roots of fractions or decimals.